Need a main board for my up mini

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
jeeplvr

Need a main board for my up mini

Post by jeeplvr » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:18 pm

I am in need of a main board for my up mini. A new board and CPU is 1500.00 USD and completely out of my price range. For this reason I am looking for something used but in excellent condition to replace my failed board and CPU. A used machine is still 400.00 or higher and I simply cant afford it right now.
Thanks for any replies,
Chris

brainzilla

Re: Need a main board for my up mini

Post by brainzilla » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:48 pm

If support cannot offer something, get a RAMPS board from aliexpress and make the UP! into a reprap or such…

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:15 pm

I have contacted support and they asked for my serial number and that's where it has ended. I am not too confident that they will have anything to do with selling used parts but who knows?
My only option is to find a good used affordable board with the CPU. If I change to a ramps board I will lose the quality of print that the Mini gives.

roller

Post by roller » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:44 pm

brainzilla wrote:If support cannot offer something, get a RAMPS board from aliexpress and make the UP! into a reprap or such…
Yes, people keep suggesting this but it is a rather pointless suggestion. Essentially you lose the whole point of having an Up and have a printer without removable support, with easy levelling and have to go from dead easy printing to having to spend a week or more dialling in the printer. I know repraps and people who want an Up do not want to deal with repraps ... most of my prints cant even be done on a reprap without multiple extruders providing a dissolvable support material.

jeeplvr, your best bet is to scour the second hand sources for someone who hates/doesn't understand the printer and is selling cheap. Mini's often go cheap from people who can't deal with the limitations.

roller

Post by roller » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:40 pm

brainzilla wrote:If support cannot offer something, get a RAMPS board from aliexpress and make the UP! into a reprap or such…
Yes, people keep suggesting this but it is a rather pointless suggestion. Essentially you lose the whole point of having an Up and have a printer without removable support, with easy levelling and have to go from dead easy printing to having to spend a week or more dialling in the printer. I know repraps and people who want an Up do not want to deal with repraps ... most of my prints cant even be done on a reprap without multiple extruders providing a dissolvable support material.

jeeplvr, your best bet is to scour the second hand sources for someone who hates/doesn't understand the printer and is selling cheap. Mini's often go cheap from people who can't deal with the limitations.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:48 pm

A ramps and arduino are my last resorts but I need the accuracy and detail that the mini gives. I print finger prosthetics that have intricate details like small cable passage ways and such. I have tried to print prosthetics on my Davinci and it just cant create the level of detail the mini can. I am currently changing my dead Davinci board out for a ramps 1.4 board I had laying around just to get it working again. Currently I have no way to print with both of my printers down with dead boards.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:08 pm

It is weird that both of your printers main boards went bad at around the same time don't you think?

brainzilla

Post by brainzilla » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Of cause the RAMPS thing is a last resort.
And a fresh board should not be more than 150$ tops, after all it's just some chinese electronics.
Only thing that's special is that firmware on the CPU.

Keep contacting support up the foodchain: Reseller, Distributor, Chinese Distributor, TierTime.
Maybe along the way you will find someone who says: "Yeah, I still have an old mini here, will send you that board".

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:41 pm

Support (Tiertime) now has the main board and cpu at a substantially lower cost than what is listed on the PP3DP site. Its 638.00 for the board and CPU which is better than it was but still more than an entire machine.