Printing with No Raft

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
brianvanh

Printing with No Raft

Post by brianvanh » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:18 pm

I've had my Up! Mini for about a month now. I have everything figured out and can print without issue...so long as I print with a raft.

On a couple of occasions, I've attempted to print with no raft. My first problem was that I was neglecting to sit the part down onto the bed. Having clicked "Place", the part was always elevated a few layers to make room for a raft. The printer would obviously error out because the first few layers were empty. I fixed that by simply moving the part down the Z axis so that it's sitting on the bed. Having done that, when I print again, the nozzle seems to be confused and starts printing much higher than it should...almost as it it was trying to print the part where it would be if there were a raft. The result is that since it's starting too high, the plastic wasn't properly laid down on the bed and it wouldn't stick. I'd have to abort the print job.

So, my question is...Is there a trick to printing without a raft? Is there a setting(s) that I'm missing? I feel like I must be doing something wrong...and I'm guessing it's something really obvious that I'm simply overlooking. Any help??

Thanks!

mb20music

Re: Printing with No Raft

Post by mb20music » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:26 am

The few times I have printed without a raft I had no issues at all. I just click on "No raft" and it works fine for me. Is it possible you are confusing the support material with the raft?

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:08 am

Brian, I can only speak to the UP plus. In the case if this printer, just selecting no raft allows the print to start directly onto the base without any adjustment.
indeed the Z axis offest does nothing as regardless of where the object shows above or below the platform, the object starts at the base, or does on my version of software. It was actually a request that the Z axis offset be made to work so you could start a print part way through at the base, but I dont believe it was ever implimented.
cheers

Peter

calvintam

Post by calvintam » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:20 am

Based on my recent experience of printing without raft, it has everything to do with your Platform calibration. As long as the nozzle is within a sheet of paper height from your bed, printing without raft won't be a problem. The reason is, if the nozzle is too high, the first layer will not stick properly onto the bed, hence it will lift off once the nozzle tries to print the 2nd layer.

brainzilla

Post by brainzilla » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:51 pm

I print a lot of parts without raft.
Works just as good as with raft, but is a little harder to peel off.
On small parts it saves a lot of ABS.