Mod Gone Wrong

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Tide

Mod Gone Wrong

Post by Tide » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:47 am

I just finished modding my Up! Mini by adding the 100C thermostat in the platform heater as suggested by some users. Double checked connections and everything else works fine but the bed stopped heating.

Do I need to replace the bed or maybe I damaged something else in the main UP! Mini board?

stormychel

Re: Mod Gone Wrong

Post by stormychel » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:36 am

As long as you powered everything off before (de)soldering, I don't see why your main board would be damaged. A higher-rated thermal switch only lengthens the duty cycle of the heater, so it should have at least warmed a few times before breaking down...

Are you sure you waited long enough? I also noticed that sometimes on PLA setting it does not heat at all...

Try starting a print in ABS and see if it heats up.

If this fails, you might have a bad solder connection. Heating up your solder again might fix that.

There are 2 extra soldering holes, maybe solder a wire to these?
@stormychel

Tide

Post by Tide » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:51 am

Thanks.

Yes. I had everything disconnected and out of the printer.
I will double check my connections together with everything else right now and get back to you.

Tide

Post by Tide » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:49 am

Problem solved. I guess I got a batch of defective KSD-01F. I tested everything with a multimeter and it all connections were ok but not heating. Reversed to the original thermostat and now everything is fine. Thank you.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:42 am

Glad you found the problem :)

It sucks to get faulty components, especially when you've already soldered them in :oops:
@stormychel