3D Mini Print error.

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
spacejump

3D Mini Print error.

Post by spacejump » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:50 pm

HI All,
First post so apologies if this has been covered previously.

Received the Mini 3d recently and have ran into some issues, eg failing first print.

Connected Printer, Installed software V2.12 (I have also uninstalled and tried V2 and V2.11.) Installation is a success on all counts. I then initialise, I get the 4 beeps and then the printer attempts its axis test and then switches off with a thud, then this printer status shows in the lower right task bar.
error message.jpg
error message.jpg (33.22 KiB) Viewed 11262 times
The print icon is not available at any time.
The ROM cannot be updated?

The printer is then non responsive, I power off the printer and the same thing happens, I change USB sockets, cables and even another PC, I cannot get passed the inialisation test without the printer failing.

Running the Up Inspector returns these errors or messages.
initialisation error.jpg
initialisation error.jpg (99.39 KiB) Viewed 11262 times
SD Test.jpg
SD Test.jpg (112.18 KiB) Viewed 11262 times
I am running Windows 7 32bit.

It just appears every time I attempt the print the printer shuts down...any ideas??

Many thanks in advance.

stormychel

Re: 3D Mini Print error.

Post by stormychel » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:44 pm

Does this work :

- start with powered-off printer, I have it on an RF switchable socket so I can power it down without using the switch on the back
- also, make sure the software is not running
- power on printer
- initialize with the front button (holding 2 secs or so)
- wait until initialized
- start software

Just an idea... you've probably tried something similar but I hope it works!
@stormychel

roller

Post by roller » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:01 pm

I am thinking two ways. If you are initialising with the front switch and disconnected from USB and I just powers down ... There is a fault either in the mainboard, a short withing the printer or a dud power supply that is tripping. In other word it's a dud and seek warranty.

If it happens connected to the computer via USB try it manually without the computer connected. If it behaves try:
a) Making sure the printer and computer are plugged into the same power board. The earthing of USB on the Up's was/is questionable and they are susceptible tripping due to the USB.
b) Or isolating the printer from direct USB connection to your computer ideally via a powered USB hub would be best - the hub will provide a secondary earth / isolation from the computers USB.

These issues are not as bad as they used to be on old printers but may still be possible.

I once had my Up on a UPS (making it an Up's UPS :P ) so prints could continue in the event of power loss. It caused so many issues I was about to send my mainboard back for replacement.

spacejump

Post by spacejump » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Thanks Guys for your valued and speedy responses,

I will try both and report back.

Paul

spacejump

Post by spacejump » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:10 am

Hi, I have tried all that was listed and we are still having the same issues, I disconnected the USB cable as you suggested Roller and turned on the unit and attempted the initialisation but sadly failed as before.

back to the drawing board.

Paul

andries3d

Post by andries3d » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:43 am

Hi Paul,
Any news about your Up Mini?

roller

Post by roller » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:24 am

So does the printer make it through a manual initialisation? If not what happens?

Is it still under warranty?

spacejump

Post by spacejump » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:09 pm

yes the printer is under warranty,

I have had tech support on the phone walking me through diagnostics, they have done and do a tremendous job!
The issue now comes down to the motherboard or the z motor (up and down) to which they are going to send me both to try and see if that's the issue.

I will now keep you all posted.

Thanks andries for your reminder, I got your private message.

Paul

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:14 pm

This will sound a little odd, but have you left the unit unplugged overnight? I have two Up! Pluses (well, ones actually an Afinia, but same thing) And both of them at some point have experienced similiar issues like this were a simple power cycle or software reset/initialize didnt help. One time a printer wouldnt communicate with the computer at all. Another time a printer would finish initializing and immediately go straight to flashing green and red on the LED without being connected to the computer. On the instance where my led was flashing red and green, I actually left it unplugged over night and it didnt fix it and got intouch with pp3dp, they thought the cpu or mainboard was dead. So I left it unplugged for a week while contemplating the cost of replacement parts vs new printer vs just gutting it and turning it into a RAMPS powered printer (because that would have been the cheapest) At the end of the week I plugged it in to the wall again just to watch the endstops initialize because I was trying to figure out in my head how to do the bed height setting if I did go the RAMPS route, and magically the printer was working like normal again. That was back in January of this year, and havent had any problems since. My best guess is that the mainboard was affected by ESD (electrostatic discharge) as my house can get fairly dry and static-ky sometimes. And the action of unplugging everything and letting it sit let all the residual charge stored throughout the system dissapate. If you can afford to let it sit unused for a day or two, its free to try this fix.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:23 am

Crud, just realized your post is in the up mini section. Well my advice was for the up plus, but maybe it will carry over to the mini

Tide

Post by Tide » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:52 am

I sometimes get an unresponsive printer. It might not be the same case as yours but here is the scenario and the remedy - maybe these steps will also help you.

From time to time my Up! Mini printer starts receiving an STL file and gets stuck in the first layer, does not receive anything else from the software. Another case I have experienced is the printer, as soon as connected to the computer, goes into what a call "alarm mode", sounding beeps and blinking. This often comes together with a SD Card error message.

This is what I do:

1. Turn the printer off first holding the on/off button then proceeding to turn off the switch in the back
2. Disconnect power and USB
3. Open back to the case (1-hex screw and a bunch of Phillips)
4. Identify the slot for the SD Card
5. Remove and replace SD card
6. Close everything, reconnect and repower unit

It sounds counter-intuitive but it has worked for me.

Hope it helps.