Ran out of filament during print.

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
arierutate

Ran out of filament during print.

Post by arierutate » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:13 am

I was printing a very large print when I ran out of filament. Its an 8 hour print and a have an 1:30 left. I have more filament to put with what printed. Help?

DrewPetitclerc

Re: Ran out of filament during print.

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm sure it is too late now, but you could have opened the "Maintenance" menu and "Paused" the printer, then use the "extrude" command to load more plastic, then use the "Resume" to continue the print, but this has to be done very quickly because that top layer is cooling and could become a separation line in your part.
Looking around this forum you would have read about all sorts of uses for the commands available to you in the software and the manual is a good starting point.

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

arierutate

Post by arierutate » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:11 pm

Its way too late now. I was trying to print a piggy bank and I thought I had enough but when I checked it in the morning it was air printing.

KCSteve

Post by KCSteve » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:19 pm

I thought the UP! wouldn't let you print if it thought you wouldn't have enough filament.
Of course that means you have to A) make sure to use the 'New Spool' dialog to set how much filament is actually on the new spool, and B) keep track of how much is on each spool when you withdraw it.
Enjoy!

KCSteve :->

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:44 am

If you are a decent modeler, you can go into your modeling software and slice off your model at the point that it stopping printing and just print the last part on its own then glue the two pieces together afterwards.

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:57 am

You don't have to be a modeler to do that, you can use the free version of netfabb to split the .stl at the point that the printer stopped printing.
Up! Plus