Waffle surface

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
scubamatt41

Waffle surface

Post by scubamatt41 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:42 pm

What could cause this?
Waffle surface 1.jpg
Waffle surface 1.jpg (102.01 KiB) Viewed 8627 times
Waffle surface 2.jpg
Waffle surface 2.jpg (203.79 KiB) Viewed 8627 times
Checked bearings and rods, oiled the machine, calibrated.

Thanks in advance
Always breath out on the way UP

DrewPetitclerc

Re: Waffle surface

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:45 am

Too much possible vibration movement in the build plate to nozzle, a rigid system is what you need to strive for.
The artifact you are seeing is from the repeated movement and the sympathetic vibrations induced in the non-rigid system.
Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:23 pm

DrewPetitclerc wrote:Too much possible vibration movement in the build plate to nozzle, a rigid system is what you need to strive for.
The artifact you are seeing is from the repeated movement and the sympathetic vibrations induced in the non-rigid system.
Regards
Drew
Thanks DrewPetitclerc !!!

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:38 pm

Maybe the part that attaches the heated table to the belt is a bit loose, I always put some glue between the two. It has reduced lines in my models a lot.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:55 pm

pp3dp.nl wrote:Maybe the part that attaches the heated table to the belt is a bit loose, I always put some glue between the two. It has reduced lines in my models a lot.
No that seems to be okay but thanks. What I did find was that just oiling the rods is not enough. I took ALL rods and bearings off. Some bearing were not that smooth at all but seem to work fine before when installed. So I gave them a WD40 bath. That helped. Checked the running of the bearings with the respective rod and reinstalled them. Now I'm waiting on a new nozzle heating assembly because I broke the nozzle trying to remove it but it snapped with the treaded part in the heating assembly block :?

Ordered a extra spare nozzle for when I repair the original heating assembly block.

All this made me very aware that I should print all spare parts because you never know what you can brake while overhauling the printer. Luckely it did not brake any ABS part of the printer.

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:01 am

When a ABS part of your printer fails, you can go to a local fablab and let a spare part print right?
Up! Plus

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:17 am

D3rax wrote:When a ABS part of your printer fails, you can go to a local fablab and let a spare part print right?
Only if they have UP! or Afinia printers. All the spare parts files are in the .up3 file format so therefore they can only be printed with the UP! (or Afinia) software on UP! (or Afinia) printers.

It would be best to print the spare parts before a part should fail.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:43 am

D3rax wrote:When a ABS part of your printer fails, you can go to a local fablab and let a spare part print right?
Thanks D3rax, my local FabLab does have a UP. I don't want to end UP going there ( closed when you NEED a part ) but thanks for the pointer.

If they don't have a UP I guess your in a catch22? Or the UP community could help out?

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:06 am

By the way, if you choose to spray the guides I heard it is better to not use WD40. Silicone spray (use regularly) is better because there are a lot of different components in WD40 that can dry and make the bearings tacky. I always use lithium grease but that tends to attract more dust (people that prefer silicone say that).

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:52 am

The expert used 3 in one oil . Clean whit air to take off the dust and them put 3 in one oil that's all , always take off the dust !.

Jose

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:17 am

pp3dp.nl wrote:By the way, if you choose to spray the guides I heard it is better to not use WD40. Silicone spray (use regularly) is better because there are a lot of different components in WD40 that can dry and make the bearings tacky. I always use lithium grease but that tends to attract more dust (people that prefer silicone say that).
Yes I know, at the moment WD40 is the only oil I have enough of to give the bearings a bath. Next time I know what signs tell me it's overhaul time.
Till then I grease all running components with a precision oilpen from 3m (stylo a huile haute precision 3m) like I did during the 2,5 years before this failure.
precision oilpen.JPG
precision oilpen.JPG (18.9 KiB) Viewed 8520 times
precision oil pen eng.jpg
precision oil pen eng.jpg (239.8 KiB) Viewed 8515 times

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:14 pm

Personally to really clean bearings and rods I soak in a bath of clean petrol (gasoline). Give the whole bath some good agitation spin the bearings in the bath and then blow through with air to dry them. Even if the bearings are still attached to ABS plates, the short time in petrol does not seem to affect the ABS. I then use a light oil into the bearings and lithium grease on other surfaces.

cheers

Peter