Rods dried up, causing X-axis malfunction.

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
cj7hawk

Rods dried up, causing X-axis malfunction.

Post by cj7hawk » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi All,

I don't know if this is common, but my X axis started playing up - the printing kept moving and I realized the head was sticking - so I looked and the rod was cloudy coloured - not clear and shiny - so I figure that the grease has all dried up. I had no idea what to try, so I tried some silicon grease and it seems to be working now, but is this common? And what sort of lubricant is recommended for periodic maintenance of the rods?

Thanks
David

mb20music

Re: Rods dried up, causing X-axis malfunction.

Post by mb20music » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:21 pm

Lithium grease

roller

Re: Rods dried up, causing X-axis malfunction.

Post by roller » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:08 pm

Mine came supplied like that out of the box and way back then (18months ago) there were a number of Minis with the same issue. I think the parts choice in the Mini design is a little prone to squeegeeing all its grease up to one end. Mine was most problematic on Z but all the axes were a bit dry and prone to drying.

I no longer have a Mini but I tend to prefer Silicon sprays for lubing linear motion where you tend to get this tendency to rub dry. I find the motion is a lot more reliable, less prone to gathering dust and grime (which is abrasive) and easy to reapply at hard to get at places via the long application tubes on most cans.