Unable to get a model with a solid base.

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
stagman

Unable to get a model with a solid base.

Post by stagman » Mon May 26, 2014 6:53 am

Hi.
I am able to remove the raft from the perforated platform,but as I remove the raft from the model I see build structure instead of a solid base.
I thought all external faces were 1.5mm thick.

Could you also explain the SHELL and SURFACE commands mean.

jeeplvr

Re: Unable to get a model with a solid base.

Post by jeeplvr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:05 pm

Could you post a picture of the area of the model you are concerned with?

jackmarshall

Post by jackmarshall » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:08 am

common with large flat bases.
Newer software and firmwares improve this a lot
Using non genuine filament will create this problem too - the system runs too hot for them so the bed bonds too well.

Finally you need to calibrate your nozzle height carefully at all nine points

You can try increasing the model density to improve the connection between the base and the internal structure - but it will cause warping and splitting in cold weather or with non genuine filament.

try putting a face that is not flat on the bottom - waste a bit more support material but I have had it work.

mezanu

Post by mezanu » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:03 pm

stagman wrote:...Could you also explain the SHELL and SURFACE commands mean.
+1

Tnx

roller

Post by roller » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:59 am

I think you are referring to being able to see the fill structure more on the base. This is normal and correct. You are seeing what the top face would look like if it were not smooshed and smeared by the extruder head. The only way to have a truly smooth base is the print raftless onto a nice smooth surface like glass (PLA) or wide kapton tape (ABS).

The reason it is not smeared smooth is that if it were it would stick too much to the support material below and not be able to be separated. I actually prefer the appearance of these base sides. A light application of heat from an open flame will restore the colour in the separation layers further reducing the visibility of the patterns of the infilll.