Have printer a few months. Still no good heating solution

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
studiocaro

Have printer a few months. Still no good heating solution

Post by studiocaro » Tue May 20, 2014 5:22 pm

I have been trying to print succesful things for months now, using the UP! mini. My first spool is almost gone just because of testing, but only because I have a major heating problem. My platform is calibrated and I have tried putting a piece of paper between my nozzle and the platform. People have told me to check my nozzle like 5 times here on the forum, but it is close enough to touch the paper and far enough not to drag it along so I'm pretty sure it's adjusted well. I beg of you not to tell me again. I have tried like EVERYTHING I can to try and solve this. Not to sound too much of a dramaqueen, I have printed succesfully before. But it seems, from the moment I get like 1 cm out of a certain zone, it's all for nothing again. The pieces start getting loose from the moment my first raft layer has been printed. Sometimes it does stick, and when it does I have no idea why.

Because I have printed a lot of different objects, ranging from solid things to more 'open' structure and nothing can tell me where the problem might be. They look okay, except for the warping which sometimes gets me only half through a piece. The printing itself is looking fine, just to be obvious. I have tried everything from putting wax on a custom perfboard to just trying Kapton tape. Nothing works. I don't have any friends who know anything about 3D printing. I could always send it back to the shop, but since it's such a common problem (which might just be a bit worse in my case), I feel like they would just send me the same - or another printer - and get me into the same situation where I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Since the default heating temperature for this printer is 50°C, I think they might just tell me that I need a custom heater, like I've seen people do on this forum as well. Why do people make custom heaters? It must be because this printer can't get the right heating, no? I just don't know what to do/believe anymore. Anyone I send mail tells me that I should ask this forum but I already did and never got an answer on my previous topic. Can anybody help?

P.S/ I also have never been able to do 'check nozzle height'. I don't know if this could have anything to do with it, because I have always been able to SET the nozzle height and I know perfectly where it is. But I always get an error when I use this function. I have the feeling the program has some more bugs or either just faults that are unique for my case. I can never see a registred platform temperature either inside of the maintance dialog, so I can only feel with my hands that it's 'hot'. I have downloaded different versions of the software and always got the same problems.

roller

Re: Have printer a few months. Still no good heating solutio

Post by roller » Wed May 21, 2014 12:09 am

This is why I swapped back my Mini for a Plus - the platform is too cool for ABS and that 50C is in the middle - once you get to the edges it falls off badly. The only fix is to upgrade the heater or stay in that middle hot spot.

The forces involved in shrinking are actually quite powerful so without heat it will be very hard to stop the base peeling away.

Only the Plus shows a temp for the heated bed - the Mini doesn't have those smarts.

studiocaro

Post by studiocaro » Wed May 21, 2014 6:14 am

I am really heartbroken, I just called the local shop to tell them that this printer actually shouldn't be sold if it makes it so difficult to print decent stuff. They said they 'want to take a look at it' but they won't do a temperature mod for me. I would never be able to try it myself because I would probably make it worse. Since the printer isn't broken, they won't repair it. I cannot sell it either because it simply doesn't print without warping or even getting completely loose and I would never want never WANT to ask anyone that much money as I had to pay for it.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Thu May 22, 2014 9:07 pm

Yes it is a shame they sell the printer this way but for a few dollars and some very basic soldering skills you can have a very good printer. Replace the temperature switch on the underside of the heated build plate and solve many of your problems. Email me and I will send you detailed instruction list on how to do this yourself. Jeeplvr2000@yahoo.com

roller

Post by roller » Mon May 26, 2014 11:42 am

jeeplvr, unless you really love spam you should edit out your email and PM it to studiocaro.

GrantWatson

Post by GrantWatson » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:29 am

I can confirm that the solution Jeeplvr has recommended will help immensely. I replaced the temperature switch on mine with an 80C unit (parts price was about $10 shipped here in Oz) and since then the warping problem is virtually gone. With good quality filament, I haven't had a problem with warpage for some time, its just with the really cheap stuff that I still see problems.

Its a pretty basic solder job to fix it too.

Rootz

Post by Rootz » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:48 pm

Ya know, I kinda took for granted the fact that the heated bed on my Mini heated up to 100C.

I've been persevering for about a year with my printer and have had varying results. Could easily be that the build plate simply isn't getting hot enough. I'd like to see your mod too, Jeeplvr. Will PM you my email addy. Also, will mod your bed, Studiocaro, if you want to send it to me. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron.

Cheers,

Andy

Rootz

Post by Rootz » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Well! I managed to get a couple of 90 degree temp switches and the soldering was easier than I'd expected. Had to come home to eat but my build plate was glowing gently when I left my workshop. If it hasn't been burned to the ground tonight, I'll let you know how it went. :-D

Rootz

Post by Rootz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:38 pm

Yeah! Well, that went pretty well! :-D

I printed a 16mm thick triangular plate about 80cm on a side and, while one of the tips had lifted slightly, it was a really pretty good print. Considering I was printing on borosilicate with UHU Purple glue, there were a whole lot of variables but it worked out really quite well. Worth pointing out that, while the temperature switch will allow the plate to heat up further, it also takes much longer to get to that temperature. I'd guess it's worth allowing at least 30 minutes for the plate to heat up properly. I think someone mentioned hooking up the plate to the mains to speed up heating. Sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure I want to be the first to try out that mod! :-D

Cheers!

Andy

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:07 pm

roller wrote:jeeplvr, unless you really love spam you should edit out your email and PM it to studiocaro.
It has been working just fine. I have gotten many emails requesting help and so far so good. I get tons of spam any way and my spam filter works great :)

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:16 pm

The only problem with the hotter heat bed is some of the smaller models dont tolerate the heat as well as larger models (depends on the quality of the filaments as well) and can stay very soft for the first 20 or so layers. It can lead to failed prints or distorted prints. A small switch wired to the new temperatire switch on the bottom of the heat bead is recommended to switch off the heat for smaller models. :D
I must say this mod is not my idea, I just put it in pill form :lol: