Nozzle Heater broke! HELP?!

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
bozzo

Nozzle Heater broke! HELP?!

Post by bozzo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi

The Nozzle heater on my Up! Mini is broken (No heat and the wires are all brunt up...). My printer, purchased on Amazon US, is only 5 months old. Is is part the warranty? Who do I contact for that issue?
Help!

Stephan

D3rax

Re: Nozzle Heater broke! HELP?!

Post by D3rax » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:00 am

Contact your supplier, you got 1 year warranty.
Up! Plus

bozzo

Post by bozzo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:25 pm

D3rax wrote:Contact your supplier, you got 1 year warranty.
Thanks, I had figured as much... except that Amazon in the USA (my original supplier) does not have a warranty department to call...

I have opened a ticket with X-object after a fair amount of research (i.e., it is not directly obvious that they are the ones to be contacted for service even if you did not buy your UP! printer directly from them). And apparently, the 1-year warranty does not apply to the heater, the nozzle and other elements considered "consumables" (waiting for the official confirmation) and of course they are out of stock on this item. Placed an order from Octave that stocks the nozzle heater for cheaper... From another thread it does not look like the wire that broke cannot be fixed properly.
Hope that helps someone else

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:33 pm

bozzo wrote:
Thanks, I had figured as much... except that Amazon in the USA (my original supplier) does not have a warranty department to call...

I have opened a ticket with X-object after a fair amount of research (i.e., it is not directly obvious that they are the ones to be contacted for service even if you did not buy your UP! printer directly from them). And apparently, the 1-year warranty does not apply to the heater, the nozzle and other elements considered "consumables" (waiting for the official confirmation) and of course they are out of stock on this item. Placed an order from Octave that stocks the nozzle heater for cheaper... From another thread it does not look like the wire that broke cannot be fixed properly.
No, the nozzle heater should be covered under warranty.

bozzo

Post by bozzo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:26 pm

mb20music wrote:No, the nozzle heater should be covered under warranty.
That would be nice, still waiting to hear back from Up3D USA. I may have a nozzle heater from Octave for sale soon...

bozzo

Post by bozzo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:35 pm

mb20music wrote:No, the nozzle heater should be covered under warranty.
Here is what makes me doubt I will get a replacement:
"Parts/Conditions Excluded From This Warranty:

The Extruder Assembly: including housing, control microboard/wiring, stepper-motor, heating-block & thermistor, nozzle. Users must learn & practice proper maintenance procedures associated with the extruder assembly.
"
http://www.up3dusa.com/#!warranty-card/cvfr

roller

Post by roller » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:15 am

mb20music wrote:
bozzo wrote:

No, the nozzle heater should be covered under warranty.
Yeah, heater is definitely a warranty item.

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:53 am

Users must learn & practice proper maintenance procedures associated with the extruder assembly
Hmm, burnt up wires does not sounds like bad maintenance procedures to me and should be under warranty.
Up! Plus

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:33 am

You can get 12 volt 40 watt heaters on ebay for cheap. You just need to splice your old plug onto the new heater. My plug was burnt so I stole a plug from an old computer and whittled it to make it fit.

bozzo

Post by bozzo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:49 am

jeeplvr wrote:You can get 12 volt 40 watt heaters on ebay for cheap. You just need to splice your old plug onto the new heater. My plug was burnt so I stole a plug from an old computer and whittled it to make it fit.
Good point. I will check eBay, since the warranty department at 3DUP does not check the open tickets...

R-A

Post by R-A » Wed May 14, 2014 8:03 pm

I'm quite curious, I'm quite curious, did they replace the heater under warranty?

bozzo

Post by bozzo » Thu May 22, 2014 11:58 pm

No, It actually went nowhere...

I registered my UP! Mini using the invoice from the authorized vendor I purchased it from, I accessed the support page where I opened an "Urgent" ticket and 1 week later an admin replied asking me to "register my Up! to contact the support page..." How would I have opened a ticket if I had not done that already...

Since I could not wait for them to reply, I had in the meantime purchased the heating element designed for the Afinia from Octave, I got it in 2 days (coast to coast) for $80 in stock, (vs. $125 from UP3DUSA and ... out of stock...) since I run a business with my printer and I cannot have it idle waiting for support to wake up... The heating element it EXACTLY the same one: remove the old one, install the new one, recalibrate platform height, print.

Great little machine, bad support.