PLA and Up Mini

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Oral

PLA and Up Mini

Post by Oral » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi all,

Have anyone a practical solution on working with pla filament ?
My Up mini doesn't work with pla filament well.
It gives noises and prints bad quality parts.
I read all the topics related to pla and found that the machine extruder head needs an extra cooling.
Don't we have another solution ?

waiting to hear bright answers.

D3rax

Re: PLA and Up Mini

Post by D3rax » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:23 pm

You could try the PLA fillament of form futura. Scubamatt has uses this fillament on his up mini with good results. I have yet to trie it on my up plus.
Up! Plus

Oral

Post by Oral » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:15 pm

Thank you,

I'll consider it my next purchase of pla filament.

Felias

Post by Felias » Thu May 02, 2013 8:28 am

And please provide feedback on how it performed for you. Shipping costs are pretty high to where i live, so any feedback would be appreciated.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:45 am

I really don't do anything other than loading the PLA from formfutura (making sure I use the PLA setting of the machine), loading my "gekko like" printsheet, loading the object, preheating as normal to were the machine decides to start, installing a extra fan to blow on the print process and he presto.

Aldo the up mini has a front and top cover, I took them of to let as much air circulate.
Always breath out on the way UP

Rootz

Post by Rootz » Fri May 24, 2013 8:33 pm

I've been experimenting with PLA today and have had great results with hardly any modification.

I've covered the perf board with Kapton but that's about it. I was using Crystal Clear, from Faberdashery.co.uk who apparently make the best quality PLA you can get. They've certainly got a great range of colours, etc.

Cheerz!

R :shock: tz

roller

Post by roller » Sat May 25, 2013 1:12 am

Its the Fabedashery PLA that has helped you a lot there. They use a higher quality PLA with a higher softener point that gives both excellent results and is more friendly to direct drive printers like the Up!

For other PLA you might need to mod to keep your extruder cool enough and to deal with imperfection in the PLA as it softens - see Drews examples here:

http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =753#p5473

Ignore his heating bed mods as this isnt really required for PLA. Kapton is not the best print surface for PLA - 3M Blue painters tape is better and cheaper. I use direct on to glass (heated) but some folk have issues with this and I suspect the surface of all glass is not created equal for printing PLA purposes.

Rootz

Post by Rootz » Sat May 25, 2013 1:40 pm

UhOh! Spoke too soon.

The beeper on the Mini may be annoying but it's nothing to the "Dunk-dunk-dunk" I heard when I went to check on the progress of my next build. Given that the nozzle was waving around in mid-air it was pretty obvious that the extruder drive was having trouble getting a grip on the filament. Stripped it down and, sure enough, the toothed wheel was clogged up with powdered PLA. Wasn't too much of a problem cleaning it out and I was up and running within half an hour. Will keep an eye on the drive temp on my next build.

Had a chat with Andrew at Faberdashery who had a great story about low-cost PLA and a bearing ball that was found in an extruder drive. Think I'll stick with their filament for the time being. I only wish they'd supply it on spools.

Cheerz!

R :shock: tz

roller

Post by roller » Sat May 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Keep all the doors open for PLA and get a fan blowing through it will improve print quality and reduce jams by keeping everything cooler. PLA needs to be cooled and the Mini was really design with the heat chamber to keep ABS warm.