Print model doesn't print centred on platform

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
cardsbym

Print model doesn't print centred on platform

Post by cardsbym » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:07 am

When I print a model, it prints about 1 cm off centre. This means that when a model fills most of the platform the print ends up going over the edge of the platform.
How do I reset the platform so that it is centred?

roller

Re: Print model doesn't print centred on platform

Post by roller » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:22 am

The printer calculates its centre from when it zeros all the axes against a switch during initialise. The permanent fix will be to make an adjustment to the contact point for the switch on that axis. It might be the switch is a little loose.

As a temporary fudge you can actually relocate the platform by the amount it is out. You will need a little force to overcome the holding from the stepper motor but once it will stay corrected until you initialise again. You don't want to do this often as you risk bending something but if you need to print something big before you have time to realign your switch it could be handy.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:29 am

cardsbym wrote:When I print a model, it prints about 1 cm off centre. This means that when a model fills most of the platform the print ends up going over the edge of the platform.
How do I reset the platform so that it is centred?
I would be willing to bet if the error is in the "X" direction (front to back) that the black aluminum mount block under your build plate is mounted 180 degrees from proper, this is the block that has your heater element and temp sensor and is held onto the sheet metal arm with 3 M3 screws.

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

cardsbym

Post by cardsbym » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:46 am

Thanks for the replies.
How do I either realign the switch or fix the X direction?
I don't see anything in the manual regarding this.