UP mini and the Taulman 618 Nylon

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
scubamatt41

UP mini and the Taulman 618 Nylon

Post by scubamatt41 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi all,

Today I did some testing and printed a bushing, ID 8mm x OD 16mm x H 10mm. I used the original prefboard and the nylon sticks to it perfectly. I loaded the filament, after spooling to an empty pp3dp spool, and set the load on ABS new spool.
I learned that respooling a "loose" string is alway's a good thing to do. When I got Laywoo 3D on a loose string thinking it would go okay it didn't so hence the heads up.

It seem't a little to hot on ABS so I set it to PLA. That was to cold, the filament would not extrude. Yes josejuako, we need temp control ;)
Selected ABS again and that looked like the best setting and it was. I guess there was some moisture in the Nylon :o (people let you're Nylon(s) dry before use)

I printed the bushing on 0.2 res and normal speed after 8min the print finished. The inner en outer diameter shrunk approx 0.4mm the height did not change.

Overall, it was a good test and nothing broke down. To this day I feel lucky with third party filament, all TPF I used till now turns out perfect.
Cheers, Matthijn
Last edited by scubamatt41 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always breath out on the way UP

wilsonj

Re: UP mini and the Taulman 618 Nylon

Post by wilsonj » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:03 pm

Hi scubamatt41, Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have found on the Plus that ABS setting works fine, but with the wind barrier open fully.

Also it is very important to keep your nylon sealed in a bag with desiccant when not being used. It sucks moisture in far more than ABS or PLA and you end up with a very stringy print that pops and hisses. The good thing is that this problem is reversible. I haven't tried it myself, but Taulman told me that leaving a fan blowing over the filament for a day should help.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller

Post by roller » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Does anyone know if the nylon has any nasty off gassing. Thought I might give it a quick roasting to dry it out but I don't want to toxify my oven. Usually run it on about 40C for a few hours.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Here is an article that googled up,
http://m.instructables.com/id/Is-3D-Pri ... HCN-from-/
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:57 pm

roller wrote:Does anyone know if the nylon has any nasty off gassing. Thought I might give it a quick roasting to dry it out but I don't want to toxify my oven. Usually run it on about 40C for a few hours.
Given the electricity prices nowadays it might be cheaper to buy some desiccant packs and seal it in a bag for a day or so. Thats what I am trying. Will let you know how it turns out.

I did however try the oven on 40 C for half hour, and it did nothing.

As for gassing, wackojacko has pointed to the link. Bottom line is no dangerous gasses, at least not at extruding temps.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:33 pm

These ovens, are they household ovens and do they vent to the outside? Can you get a same positive effect from a microwave, or would that be sciencefiction?
Always breath out on the way UP

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:37 pm

The best drying place I have is above my hot water cylinder
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

roller

Post by roller » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:01 am

Can you get a same positive effect from a microwave, or would that be sciencefiction?
No ... high energy in short bursts = not good.
Given the electricity prices nowadays it might be cheaper to buy some desiccant packs and seal it in a bag for a day or so. Thats what I am trying. Will let you know how it turns out. I did however try the oven on 40 C for half hour, and it did nothing.
Once it's damp - providing heat is about the only way. To do it in the oven takes several hours. I usually roast for about 4 hours on 40C.
The best drying place I have is above my hot water cylinder
That's actually a good idea although mine is in a small room and the humidity in there is high so no use for me.

My filaments live in a container designed for storing and shipping dry product. The bottom quarter is kitty litter which runs cheaper than silica desiccant and is a little more effective than rice I find. Unfortunately here in humid Queensland it does take filament long out of the container to soak up some moisture so I am often required to re-roast a roll that has spent too long out especially after a couple of weeks of rain where indoors it could be 26C and relative humidity of 90%!

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:42 am

I guess being winter here in the UK and us all running our central heating we have very low humidity and therefore don't seem to have this "damp" problem. Just a note to others lurking here, talk of putting in an oven will I assume only apply to electric ovens. Any gas oven will add dampness to the material. When gas burns it generates copious amounts of water vapour.

cheers

Peter.

p.s. Just ordered several reels of coloured ABS from CDwriter here in the UK. Seems to be good stuff, all works at regular UP plus ABS temperature and no popping. I have no affiliation with CD writer, just passing on observations.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:48 am

I have recently been making functional parts for some farm machinery out of 618. I've experimented with different print combinations to achieve the highest strength, but still allows for relatively easy support removal. So far printing on fine (slow) creates the strongest part, while having the wind barrier half open. Too much air causes the layers to cool too much weakening the bond, not enough and the part gets too hot and deforms. Layer thickness doesn't seem to have a major impact on strength.

Cheers
Jamie
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au