Raft doesn't stick anymore

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
studiocaro

Raft doesn't stick anymore

Post by studiocaro » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I am printing atm and have had a number of succesful first prints. I read that after a while, it could happen that the platform doesn't stick that well anymore. And I think that's happening with me. I also read that a solution could be to re-adjust the nozzle height. But I did, and I don't think that's wrong. My maximum nozzle height is 122 and everytime I set the nozzle height at 121.8, the software automatically rounds down to 121. But I do think the printer takes 121.8 since my previous prints have been succesfully done. But I always print small things and put them in the middle of the platform so it might also be an uneven heating problem. I read that you could also try to spray some hairspray onto the platform, which I also did try but am a bit afraid of because it is of course flamable. Could anyone tell me what a good solution would be?

DrewPetitclerc

Re: Raft doesn't stick anymore

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:32 am

Read and search posts.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

studiocaro

Post by studiocaro » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:01 am

I always search the forum before considering posting my own topic. This is also the reason why I mention the solutions stated, I have found these inside of this forum. So, I found that for someone it helped to adjust nozzle height, and for someone else to use hairspray to make the board more sticky. Both of these did not solve it.

However, I have looked for videos in which people use the printer to see if I do everything correctly. I always read that the material should stick inside of the board. I also thought that this was the case for me since all of my prints were always very fine until now. But maybe the nozzle might be 0.01mm too far away from my board because the material doesn't sink INTO the holes. I was always sure this wasn't the right way because the material hardens inside of the holes and I presumed this would make them absolutely unusable after one print like that. Like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQtZz5MP_RY
I can see the guy printing the rocket and just pulling the design from the raft whereas I can always just take my whole design off the board very easily. So maybe this might be what I do wrong...

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:05 am

Studiocsro,
If you set 121.8mm and the printer reports 121mm in the print or print preview menu, thenyou have not told the printer to set the correct height. Read the manual so see how to. Just telling the platform to go to a height smply moves it there to check. You then have to tell it to actually set it to that height using a seperate maintenance button.

cheers

Peter

studiocaro

Post by studiocaro » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:17 am

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply.
I'd like to say that I have read the manial several times, but I have to admit I don't find it absolutely clear at times. I do know that I can 'move' the nozzle as well as 'setting' it. So before printing, I put 121.8 in the position box in the maintenance dialog and then I push 'set nozzle height'. It then asks 'Set nozzle height to 121?' so it seems like it doesn't take the .8, but my prints have always printed very well so that's why I was convinced it's the right height.

studiocaro

Post by studiocaro » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:40 pm

Okay, I think I might need some serious help. I looked through the forum some more (the search function seems to be broken for one reason or another) so I only just now got to read some really long threads about what different people have done about the same problem. I just printed again now while heating up the chamber with a little radiator. No difference whatsoever though. I was thinking about getting the special tape, but realised that this wouldn't help to get rid of possible cracks in the further design, just the raft sticking to the perfboard right? Everyone who reads this thread should know that am I a complete noob with cables, soldering, chips and other stuff. I would say a normal girl doesn't have a soldering iron, but then again a normal girl might also not have a 3D printer. Of course I can read and understand the solutions that I read on here such as replacing the heater. But I could never do this myself. I am getting a bit pissed off because my first prints seemed to work out all fine except for one where I tried to print 2 things at a time, using a wider area of the perfboard. I include a picture here of what I just printed and it's obvious the design got completely loose by the end, while it's just a few millimeters high. I don't need anyone to tell me that I should read the manual more, or that I should check the nozzle height, because I'm quite sure now that it's not that. Especially because I have read several times about the bad platform heating that is specific to the UP mini! And the more I read about solutions, the more I fear that I am not capable of solving it.

So what I really need is - I think - someone who will tell me where I could order a new heater (as cheap as possible, shipping to Belgium) or anything that should be replaced, I have got no idea at all. And also how to do it in full detail. In other words, a new manual how to replace it. Since it's such a comon problem with this printer it might also not be bad after all to have some document like that available. And preferably a solution that doesn't involve soldering or other skills that only should belong to an electrician. Because I am really afraid to f*ck it all up more than it already is. It also strikes me that everyone seems to be able to solder. I don't have any of that stuff and I would only get supplies if I can get to know completely from beginning to end, in detail, how to do it. Because that's what I don't seem to find on here - just people going like 'I just took it off soldering it on again' - this is a very hard thing to get sorted for me. So I kind of lose my temper when someone says I should just read the forum or the manual because I already did a thousand times just kind of wasting my time trying to understand all of what is going on.

About the picture: you can also see that my table with perfboard attached to it is kind of higher on the right side, there's a bit of space between the clamps on the left and the perfboard. Never had any trouble with that though, just with the fact that my designs are starting to get loose really fast now. Please help!!
Attachments
foto.JPG
foto.JPG (102.05 KiB) Viewed 7275 times

swort

Post by swort » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:42 pm

studiocaro wrote:Hi everyone,

I am printing atm and have had a number of succesful first prints. I read that after a while, it could happen that the platform doesn't stick that well anymore. And I think that's happening with me. I also read that a solution could be to re-adjust the nozzle height. But I did, and I don't think that's wrong. My maximum nozzle height is 122 and everytime I set the nozzle height at 121.8, the software automatically rounds down to 121. But I do think the printer takes 121.8 since my previous prints have been succesfully done. But I always print small things and put them in the middle of the platform so it might also be an uneven heating problem. I read that you could also try to spray some hairspray onto the platform, which I also did try but am a bit afraid of because it is of course flamable. Could anyone tell me what a good solution would be?
Your nozzle was probably pushed over the filament rod. You can unsrew the complete assembly to adjust the nozzle height (put it lower on the fillament tube).
read how to do it here: http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 348#p39803

Remember when you put it back together to screw it down tight, but NOT overtight.

I'm 100% sure your problem is eighter that you selected PLA instead of ABS when using ABS. Or your nozzle height is not low enough.
If you print PLA. I'm not able to help you much, cause i hate to print that with an UP! Mini. It just doesn't work well enough.