official specs of the UP mini

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
scubamatt41

official specs of the UP mini

Post by scubamatt41 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:12 pm

I think the specs have not been updated! Humm... two things could be happening here: 1, it's to bizzy and not enough staff or 2, details get ignored. If details like these get ignored what could be said about uh.... a wish list?
Another post on this forum mentioned the software limbo (about raft removal) to keep one party happy while the other party lose. Not good!

Layer thickness
0.25 /0.30 /0.35 mm
Always breath out on the way UP

roller

Re: official specs of the UP mini

Post by roller » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:23 am

Yeah, I think the whole website could do with a usability consultant. Even though I can't but from their web store, when I first tried I find it's not to be very firefox friendly (checkout) it doesn't do a very good job of walking you through the products. It is very surprising the description hasn't been updated to 0.2mm though as that's a big selling point especially now Cubify are down to 0.125 - the Mini doesn't even seem close at 0.25!

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:44 am

Yes Cube is down in resolution but if I read it correctly that's only on the CubeX. That's not bad with that build size,

Does anyone have some info (apart from the award publicity) on the Zbot thing? Or is there a "UP max" in the making?

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi
my concern with the Cube and the Cubex is its filament. Both are supplied in product specific cartridges at $52 each for the Cube and a whopping $111 each for the Cubex. Nowhere have I been able to find out the weight of filament in each, but have the impression that the cost per gram is high. The Cubex does look interesting, but, the issue of cost of filament, and only being able to use the Cubify filament in their printer is a a real problem for me.
The Zbot information is VERY vague and mostly in Chinese. I found getting information difficult to get, so I imagine the after sales backup would likely be scant. I would want to see a local reseller offering the Zbot before I would consider it.
The new Makerbot Replicator 2X looks great with its enclosure, but I downloaded the Makerware software to tr,y and found it far less intuitive to use that UPs software, but maybe I was doing something wrong ?????
Anyway, I am still enjoying my Up! and I am confident that within the next 12 months there will be many innovative improvements in 3D printer hardware and software. I do like to look at what is being offered, I am happy to wait!
Regards
Lawrence

roller

Post by roller » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:43 pm

I think I saw an estimate of 500g of filament in the Cube cartridge - so just a little more expensive than the Up genuine (at least for us in Australia) and at least the offer genuine PLA. No sign of anyone guessing for the Cubex which uses a different cartridge. If I had the money I'd get one just to hack the cartridge and offer refills :p

I await reviews of the quality on the Cubex though - I hope it's decent as that will shake up the market a bit.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:55 pm

Hi all
Re: the Cube and Cubex filament.
My reservations about the Cube and Cubex filament cost per gram increased with this reply I got from Cubify about the weight of material in their cartridges:
Each Cube cartridge contains enough filament to produce 13 - 15 average size objects.
An average object is the size of a smart phone case.
Each Cube X cartridge contains enough filament to produce 25 average objects.
We measure our material by the cartridge and do not have an exact number for the weight
of material each cartridge contains.
Our cartridges cannot be refilled once they've been depleted.
Very informative ... I think not! Exactly how big is an "average object". My objects range from 2 grams to 100 grams, but who can guess what they regard as an average object.
The Cubex filament is $110 per cartridge, so, if the cost per gram was to be about the same as genuine Up! filament it would need to be 1.4 kg in the cartridge. On that reasoning, their average model is about 56 grams. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to purchase a cartridge, then rip it apart to weigh the filament. Or, to purchase the Cubex, weigh the full cartridge, then weigh it again once empty. I doubt that the cartridge would contain more than 1kg. It appears also, that the Cube might contain about half of that, 500 grams, for $52. This would mean that the Cube and Cubex filament is about 40% - 50% more expensive than Up! filament.
Their reluctance to give a filament weight per cartridge makes me suspicious, and turns me off considering a Cubex - which other than the locked in supply and likely high cost of their filament - appears to be a very nice printer.
Regards
Lawrence

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:39 pm

Lawrence wrote:Hi all
Each Cube cartridge contains enough filament to produce 13 - 15 average size objects.
An average object is the size of a smart phone case.
Each Cube X cartridge contains enough filament to produce 25 average objects.
We measure our material by the cartridge and do not have an exact number for the weight
of material each cartridge contains.
Our cartridges cannot be refilled once they've been depleted.
Their reluctance to give a filament weight per cartridge makes me suspicious, and turns me off considering a Cubex - which other than the locked in supply and likely high cost of their filament - appears to be a very nice printer.
I agree. The best estimates I've been able to come up with are that the Cube's cartridges contain 200-500g, and it seems likely that they're on the low end of the range. 1/2 lb would be a nice round number (227g), and very believable.

The idea that they don't know exactly how much material is in a cartridge is pure, unadulterated baloney. They just don't want to say.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:52 am

Off topic but this is something I must share with this community.

Tell us what you think of this: Mii CRAFT Pico DLP printer at http://www.miicraft.com/

Just to be clear, I have no connection with this company

Cheers

BTW, the specs of the UP mini have been updated! ;)
Last edited by scubamatt41 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:10 am

Hi scubamatt41

I have just added http://www.miicraft.com/ to my favourites.
I don't see that I have a need for it at the moment, but, if in the future I am later on looking for a small footprint hi-resolution resin printer, this one looks like an option.
Possibly the only drawback is the cost of resin - at USD138.00 per 500ml - but, for printing high quality parts in low volume it would be viable.
Regards
Lawrence

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 pm

scubamatt41 wrote:Off topic but this is something I must share with this community.

Tell us what you think of this: Mii CRAFT Pico DLP printer at http://www.miicraft.com/

Just to be clear, I have no connection with this company

Cheers

BTW, the specs of the UP mini have been updated! ;)
Interesting machine, but very small build area, and not great Z layer specs. And it uses open source software, not that that automatically means its bad. For another $1000 you could get a Form1 with double the Z accuracy and 125x125 build size. And software designed from the ground up for that printer only.

I'm not affiliated with either product, but I know which I would prefer.

Actually I'm surprised we are not seeing more resin printers. As far as I know there are only about 3 out there, if you don't count the much bigger and more expensive Monolith http://acmedesign.co/3d-printer/monolit ... inter.html
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:45 pm

Wauw, that's also a nice printer wilsonj. As always, the price is of my chart. Wonder how they handled any lawsuits from 3D systems?

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:35 pm

I have a question regarding these types of printers. On the basis that the liquid resin seems expensive, how do you produce hollow models that do not consume inordinate amounts of resin. The UP and other FDM printers can be set to have a very loose honeycomb interior that minimises material usage. If I wanted to build an enclosed volume with the resin printer then even if just a shell was created, that enclosed shell volume would be filled with unhardened resin. Or are all design such that one leaves a drain hole somewhere in the model?

cheers

Peter

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:55 pm

The model with SL based printers is pulled out of the resin base and is build layer after layer.
If for example you have a cube, the top of the cube is printed first, agianst FDM where the top would be printed last. So when a SL printer reaches the bottom of the cube there has been a "hole" ( size of the cube) all the time.
Building that final face of the cube would close the "hole". In that process there is no film of resin left when printing that final layer because that film turns into that final layer.

Correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Makes me wonder how you add structure to a model that needs some sort of inside fill structure.
Could it be you have to put it into the design? Still, no resin is 'trapped' inside the model.