Move Errors

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Steveb56

Move Errors

Post by Steveb56 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:27 pm

I am getting constant move errors on some of my prints. Why does this happen?

I can print many items, but when I have something with maybe 250 - 500 steps, the Mini gives me the move error.

I have tried with the cover closed and also opened.

Is there something wrong with my printer?

Thanks ahead for any guidance.

r03ert0

Re: Move Errors

Post by r03ert0 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi,

I'm also getting the infamous Move Error....
I'm trying to print a model which is 272 layers, and it has stopped twice at about the same level (layer 47).

Some people seem to get 'Move errors' when the X, Y or Z switches are failing. That had already happened to me (I have an old Up, with optical switches ), but in that case the printer fails to move in one of the directions, and mine is moving correctly up/down, left/right, front/back... So, I don't think it's an axis-switch problem...

but then, what could it be? Would it be possible that my model file has something that make the printer stop? Could it be a loose connection? Is there a way of getting more information about what is actually going wrong???

By the way, I'm using v1.3 in a mac.

thank you for your help!

roberto

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:27 pm

I've found this to be a "Hot electronics" error, not enough air flow across the main board and the stepper controller on the far left (X controller) was overheating.
If you have any restriction of airflow from the right to left, there is a very small fan in there that could be the culprit.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

r03ert0

Post by r03ert0 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:15 am

DrewPetitclerc wrote:I've found this to be a "Hot electronics" error, not enough air flow across the main board and the stepper controller on the far left (X controller) was overheating.
If you have any restriction of airflow from the right to left, there is a very small fan in there that could be the culprit.
thanks Drew.
I'll try taking of the cover, and maybe adding an extra fan (i may have one around...)

cheers,
roberto

r03ert0

Post by r03ert0 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:13 am

I'll try taking of the cover, and maybe adding an extra fan (i may have one around...)
argh.... just tried again with the new UP software (1.4 mac, osx 10.8.2), Move Error: Layer 5... I checked the temperature in the stepper motor drivers, and they seem Ok (after 5 layers, it would be surprising if they were too hot...). Additionally, v1.4 is constantly freezing!! (I have to force quit to exit) it's quite annoying.... I'll try again but with version 1.3 this time

(i liked the new stepper motor music in v1.4, though :D)