Wind Barrier questions

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
kelwyn

Wind Barrier questions

Post by kelwyn » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:06 am

Hi All

Doing pretty well with our UP! Mini, no real complaints and some great prints.

Warping however is a bit of an issue and I'm trying to get a bit more information about good strategies for the wind barrier.

* Which position do people refer to as open and closed? (Lever to the left, lever to the right?)
* What's the best position for which stage of the print?

I'm still using the original wind barrier and about to print out the v12 version.

wilsonj

Re: Wind Barrier questions

Post by wilsonj » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:12 am

Welcome to the forum kelwyn.

We consider the barrier "open" when the lever is to the left. This allows air to blow over the model.

There is a trade off between having air blow over the model and not. The air flow will help cool the plastic and results in easier support removal, but it can cause the model to warp. So what I often do is close the flap while printing the raft and sometimes the first few layers, and then open it for the rest of the print.

It also might be worth putting an o ring on the lever arm to create friction so you can have intermediate positions. Instead of just fully open or fully closed. (Sorry I forget who suggested this neat idea)

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Jamie
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

twocycler

Post by twocycler » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:38 am

So the mini spare parts folder contains an 11.9 and a 12.0 wind barrier. I printed the 12.0 then found that the two mounting screw holes do not come close to reaching the mount holes on the upper extruder plastic. What am i missing here?

amwales

Post by amwales » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Can we get an answer to this, to quote 'twocycler'
I also printed the 12.0 then found that the two mounting screw holes do not come close to reaching the mount holes on the upper extruder plastic. What am i missing here?
I made a post about 2 months ago with pictures illustrating this and was simply told to print the 12.0 !
see this http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1348 for pics.

nuproto

Post by nuproto » Thu May 30, 2013 7:07 pm

I'm having the same exact problem after my wind barrier cracked.. can we get help on this?

Rootz

Post by Rootz » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Hello?! Is ANYONE responding to these problems?

Cheerz!

R :shock: tz

amwales

Post by amwales » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:53 pm

It's like there are tumble weeds blowing across the forum, no one seem to have an answer to this trivial problem?
My wind barrier arrived broken and I haven't been able to replace it, the one I printed from the folder is not the
right size :(

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:07 am

The easiest way is to download all the versions of the UP software and take the time to install each one into a directory called 113, 114, 115, 116 etcetera and extract the STL files from each install folder and keep them handy to try different versions and you can use some as a base to redesign parts.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:19 am

amwales wrote:It's like there are tumble weeds blowing across the forum, no one seem to have an answer to this trivial problem?
I don't respond much anymore because I've been very sad to see so many questions that don't need to be answered if people would read the forum first, I don't mean your question is one of these but if you knew that every install of the software is packed with the latest STL versions of parts for your printer and all the older versions are available to download it is a small step to download them all and look through the files to find the right (close) part.
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (138.68 KiB) Viewed 8321 times
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (123.4 KiB) Viewed 8321 times
I know it is a little work but anything worth having is worth working for.
Hope this helps.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc