Overhang Curling/Warping

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
caffeinatedjoe

Overhang Curling/Warping

Post by caffeinatedjoe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:30 pm

I'm currently having problems with overhangs curling upwards, which results in the nozzle running into them and creating a very poor finish (not to mention very inaccurate). I've seen other prints which look great, so I know there is a solution to this... I just don't know what it is.

In the image attached you can see the areas I am talking about: on the bottom portions of the tail, the chin, and the ears.

Even when there is a support structure underneath, the part will contract and pull up off of the support material, then get run over by the nozzle. I've tried both with the cooling fan vent open and closed. Anyone have some insight for a guy who is new to using a 3D printer?
Attachments
Bunny.jpg
Bunny.jpg (245.36 KiB) Viewed 9668 times

ftdesigns

Re: Overhang Curling/Warping

Post by ftdesigns » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:53 am

did the rabbit actually have support material under the ear?
did you have the print set to 'fine'?
what model is it?

keep in mind that some models are just not ideal for these printers

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:20 am

Typically opening the extruder vent door will reduce this.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:51 pm

A model like this was printed on the Up printer done by the guys at X-object this model is printable I've seen it. Might be some settings going on or something I'm not aware of that's causing this.

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:20 pm

It's a common problem to have underslung upward slopes print poorly.

The vent does have some impact but I've found I needed to create 'artificial' support connected to the model in some areas. I try 0.8mm walls that are built up from the raft and connect to the upward slope. They can be cut away later with a Stanley knife.

caffeinatedjoe

Post by caffeinatedjoe » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:29 pm

Yes, there was support under the ears.
I did have the print sent to fine.
The model is on thingiverse (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11622), I believe I printed the "flatfoot high res smoothed" version.

As someone else mentioned, I have seen prints with overhangs before, on many different printers (including the UP! mini) that have no problems. I believe it is a settings issue, I am just not sure where to start.

I am currently running a test where I print the exact same part (an open pyramid for with overhangs) with the vent open and closed. This will give me a good comparison. I already printed one with the vent open and it had the problems still. We will have to see (in about an hour) if the one with the vent closed is any worse.

Can anyone clarify for me, I understand that the plastic shrinks as it cools, which is what causes the curling and warping, so why then would having the vent open help to fix the problem? Is the idea to cool it off quicker and lock in its shape before it has time to warp? If so, would a more directed fan duct help with this?

I'm just throwing everything out there that I can think of. This is all new to me. I have watched 3D printing (jealously) from afar for a while, now I get to be a part!

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:06 am

Could you post (or a screnshot of) your settings?
Sometimes reducing shells and infill helps reducing overall warping.
Also, different support material settings may help to keep the part in place.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:24 pm

Not that this is directly related to your warping issue, but you can print the bunny without support if you set support to 10%.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au