Pla problems

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
roller

Re: Pla problems

Post by roller » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:02 am

With those windows I would say you need more cooling (or a mod to lower the temp of your extruder a little more) and try printing on fast. The additional cooling helps the edges of print harden up faster and string less ... printing faster helps them "snap" rather than bridge across gaps.

Oral

Post by Oral » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:21 pm

roller wrote:With those windows I would say you need more cooling (or a mod to lower the temp of your extruder a little more) and try printing on fast. The additional cooling helps the edges of print harden up faster and string less ... printing faster helps them "snap" rather than bridge across gaps.
Thank you,

I will try them.

777flyer

Post by 777flyer » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Thanks to this site I have found out plenty of truths which my supplier failed to mention, instead he told me it would do what i wanted ABS, PLA no problem.. uuum well the ABS problems started immediately with terrible warping and I have tried everything from super glue to a slurry etc etc etc, am now airing for a component to do a heat bed mod although don't feel that this should be necessary and will be running this past my supplier first. As for PLA it really does not want to know have tried fans doors open cold starts etc etc etc it prints for a few layers then starts to 'clunk' while it continues to print in the 'air'.... All in all I am not that happy with the purchase.. Having started out with a Wanhao DX4 which simply gave up the ghost without ever producing a single print I am now using a smaller bed machine where I can only achieve 25% of the middle of the bed without things warping so badly that the print has to be aborted. I am beginning to wonder whether it is to much to ask for a 3d printer that actually works without so many headaches. In the meantime I am now researching the DaVinci 1 which from users perspectives it seems very good. I haven't contacted a sales outlet as I no longer will be driven by there suggestions. In the meantime if anyone has any advice or tips I would be very appreciative and won't need to hit the Vodka :-) Thanks

roller

Post by roller » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:46 am

As someone who has built a lot of printers, repraired and modded a lot of printers of many different varieties I have to say the Up Plus (2) is one of the most reliable and consistent printers out there when using ABS. The Mini on the other hand is a bit of a disaster and all direct drive printers have some issues with PLA though many bulk up the stepper and dial back the torque to reduce the temp issues. My Up is still my favourite printer even without mods though with slightly pricier PLA.

Since you've already put your money into the Mini I would mod it to make it the printer you want it to be presuming you can't offload it easily. The mods are cheap, not that hard and you have a 3D printer to make any part you need.