Do I need to swap nozzle PLA / ABS?

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
scubamatt41

Do I need to swap nozzle PLA / ABS?

Post by scubamatt41 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Do I need to swap the nozzle when printing in PLA or ABS?
Always breath out on the way UP

roller

Re: Do I need to swap nozzle PLA / ABS?

Post by roller » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:10 pm

No you don't have to. But I have found the constant back an forth between PLA and ABS on my reprap printers results in them gumming up and needs to be cleaned. So as a rule I use a different nozzle for each (actually I swap the entire hotend). I haven't cleaned a nozzle in about 12 months using this arrangement.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Sorry, I never thank you for the advice
Always breath out on the way UP

stonjohn4

Post by stonjohn4 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:08 am

I realise having it settable is a fair bit of work but seriously firmware with beeping & a firmware without beeping should be easy. For those who print during the night. Just remove it. Can't be more than a 10min job. Or send me the firmware code.....
"stonjohn4"

roller

Post by roller » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:33 pm

stonjohn4 wrote:I realise having it settable is a fair bit of work but seriously firmware with beeping & a firmware without beeping should be easy. For those who print during the night. Just remove it. Can't be more than a 10min job. Or send me the firmware code.....
That seems a little off topic ... but I agree.

marto

Post by marto » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:06 pm

Lol if a replacement "CPU" wasn't $1000AUD and motherboard $300AUD (AKA more than a new up mini) I could prolly do it.

But it was a lot easier to just shove a bit of foam in the piezo.

Oh it would have to be done from disassembling the code. They are never going to send you the firmware source. But its more than possible if you know the chip and pin. Prolly just change a few LDIs and OUTs so that the piezo never gets toggled.

Steve

lourencohen

Post by lourencohen » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:08 am

Based on my experience I would say do not try to replace the nozzle on your MakerBot Replicator 2 or 2X without consulting a support agent. Mostly it messes up the whole thing and at the last we have to replace it. The same thing happened to me many times.

Thanks
Lourene