Top tip: remove raft easily

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
RarelyEvil

Top tip: remove raft easily

Post by RarelyEvil » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:49 pm

Hey all,

I'd like to share something I found out.

As we all know, the raft can be hard to remove off the prints. Especially for PLA or cheap ABS. This is due to the raft being quite hot when the first print layer is being added. This makes the raft and print fuse together.

To stop this from happening you can set 'Pause at' to '0.2' in the print dialog. (Values below 0.2 will not work.) This will make the printer pause after printing the raft. When it pauses, wait about 5 minutes, then resume printing. This gives the raft time to cool down. This way the first layer of the print will no longer fuse to the raft (but it will still stick to it, to keep it in place).

The results for me are great so far, the raft just peels right off.

Greets,
Alexander.

wackojacko

Re: Top tip: remove raft easily

Post by wackojacko » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:01 pm

Thanks that is a great tip, especially for printing in rubber / elastic material as it retains its heat.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:47 am

My mini doesn't like to start again after I pause it.

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:40 pm

I have never paused my prints on my mini but don't really feel the need to either. Only stopped it midway when I saw some failed parts to reprint.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Numonic wrote:I have never paused my prints on my mini but don't really feel the need to either. Only stopped it midway when I saw some failed parts to reprint.

I think the "Pause" feature is mainly for changing filament colors, or if you find yourself low on filament during a print and you think you won't have enough filament to complete your print, you can pause the print and then put on a new spool of the same color of course.

RarelyEvil

Post by RarelyEvil » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:41 am

I've been experimenting a bit more and found out a few things:
- Often the raft and print can't be pulled apart by hand, but will separate nicely using the knife (that came with the printer) to pry them apart.
- Pausing seems to work less well for bigger prints, even with a longer pause. Certain areas will often still fuse together, though it's still a better result than without pausing.