Print bed not center on up mini - Losing out an inch of perf

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
85miles

Print bed not center on up mini - Losing out an inch of perf

Post by 85miles » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:24 am

My prints show up on the perf board off center, more pushed towards the front than the rear, models I print always have more space at the back of the perf board. How do I center the bed so I can get the most of my prints, right now im losing a good inch or so of print bed.

marto

Re: Print bed not center on up mini - Losing out an inch of

Post by marto » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:38 pm

So are you printing off the edge of the perf board with your prints? If not then that is norma.

As the Mini's board is physically the same size as the UP Plus's board I am pretty sure they limit the size of the items slightly in software I know you could print bigger things on it. I have always found that mine prints towards the front of the board as well. As far as I can tell this is normal.

Steve

85miles

Post by 85miles » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:41 pm

marto wrote:So are you printing off the edge of the perf board with your prints? If not then that is norma.

As the Mini's board is physically the same size as the UP Plus's board I am pretty sure they limit the size of the items slightly in software I know you could print bigger things on it. I have always found that mine prints towards the front of the board as well. As far as I can tell this is normal.

Steve

I am printing off the edge a little... the back edge has over an inch of space while front edge has maybe a 2mm overhang, I can probably get it out further than that if I place the model to the front on the print software, but generally I try to leave a small space when placing models in the software, for warping/ curling purposes. I don't see a way to calibrate the table.... I figured the printer would know and centre itself during the initialize phase.

marto

Post by marto » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:47 pm

So the obvious fix is just to put a spacer on the limit switch when it homes so it homes further forward. But it sounds like you may have a problem with your printer. When I have printed the largest objects possible on the up mini min is about 4mm from the front edge. (more from the back) So sounds like there is something wrong. Maybe try printing 115x 115 square and 2mm high and grab some photos.

Steve

85miles

Post by 85miles » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:37 am

Good point I will try the spacer trick.

I will try to remember to take a pic of the next big print.

samspqr

Post by samspqr » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:26 am

I have the same problem.
This sticky talks about it: http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23324
I will try the "extend the bit that contacts with the detector" solution. Luckily, I have 3D printer to help me with that :)