Stop the beeping!!!!

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
amwales

Stop the beeping!!!!

Post by amwales » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:01 am

I'm trying to print late at night without waking everyone in the house.
I mean to muffle the speaker, using either a cover or sponge.
How do I get to it?
Is it as straight forward as removing the screws on the back?
Anything I should know about when disassembling the mini to get to the speaker?
Where is the speaker located?

marto

Re: Stop the beeping!!!!

Post by marto » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:59 am

This should be done in the firmware..

I realise having it settable is a fair bit of work but seriously firmware with beeping & a firmware without beeping should be easy. For those who print during the night. Just remove it. Can't be more than a 10min job. Or send me the firmware code.....

Actually if I knew the CPU chip and the pin which the Piezo was on could probably modify the current firmware. Anybody got that info?

Steve

roller

Post by roller » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:12 am

I believe this has been a feature that has been requested for some time and apparently prior to the recent ROM update it may have actually been louder. It was promised silencing when be an option in the next firmware two firmwares ago.

I am desperate for it myself as I got complaints from other units in my block for printing late at night. Even with a muffler http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31957 fitted it is still quite loud.

Eric_at_Tamaggo

Post by Eric_at_Tamaggo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:00 pm

For my part I installed a screw in the middle of the buzzer hole.
The screw can be tighten or loosen to adjust the pitch and intensity of the sound.
I used a M3 screw, but I needed to open up the hole a little with a drill bit because it wouldn't fit at first. I guess a M2,5 or M2,2 would fit directly.

I hope it helps!

poiuy

Post by poiuy » Tue May 14, 2013 8:31 am

Can we please have a version of the software that doesn't beep at all.
Or if it must beep, make the beep occur at a useful time, such as when the platform has finished heating, to remind me to press print.
I don't need a beep to tell me that I've just turned the machine on, or that I've just initialized the machine, or four beeps to tell me that my data has been sent to the machine by my computer; I don't need to be reminded to interact with the machine at these times.

The loudness of the beeps is irrelevant: the beeps shouldn't exist.

Otherwise it's a lovely machine that every now and then produces an abstraction.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Thu May 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Or you could do like some us do on the up plus and just muffle the speaker with a piece of tape. On the up plus the beep used to be one very loud long beep and then one if the updates made it quieter by making it a series of short beeps if I remember right.
Someone on thingiverse even made a plastic cap you can print out and cover the speaker with, assuming its the same size speaker in the mini as it is in the up. Just letting you know that if its really that important to you, you can probably solve it yourself. I personally prefer the beep. I believe it serves a purpose. I print parts that consist of millions of polygons and take an hour just to process in the ui. I go and do other things and when I hear the beep then I go back and make sure the print starts correctly. I'd be upset if they removed it

Rootz

Post by Rootz » Thu May 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Admittedly, I've only been using my Mini for a week BUT, TBH, the beeps only serve to annoy me.

Seems to have been set to be just a tad too loud if you're in the same room but too quiet to be heard from 2 rooms away.

Course, that's just my opinion and what do I know? ;)

Cheerz!

R :shock: tz

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:29 pm

Rootz wrote:Admittedly, I've only been using my Mini for a week BUT, TBH, the beeps only serve to annoy me.

Seems to have been set to be just a tad too loud if you're in the same room but too quiet to be heard from 2 rooms away.

Cheerz!

Have you seen this one http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31957 It works very well on my mini :)
Always breath out on the way UP

Rootz

Post by Rootz » Fri May 24, 2013 8:20 pm

scubamatt41 wrote:
Rootz wrote:Admittedly, I've only been using my Mini for a week BUT, TBH, the beeps only serve to annoy me.

Cheerz!

Have you seen this one http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31957 It works very well on my mini :)
Great stuff! Thanks scubamatt!

Cheerz!

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:33 am

You are very much welcome :)
Always breath out on the way UP

roller

Post by roller » Sat May 25, 2013 2:27 pm

I found the cap was good but sticking a piece of foam double-sided tape (about 1.5mm thick) right on top did the best muffling for me.

samspqr

Post by samspqr » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:48 am

These beeps serve no purpose. It should only beep when there's an error that cannot be communicated via the computer. Everything else should be a message somewhere on the UP software. Please get rid of the beeps.
I don't want to have to open my printer. If I wanted that kind of involvement I would have got a different printer. I want one that just works.

LittleStevie

Post by LittleStevie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:24 pm

I and all others in a busy, noisy construction office were being driven insane with the ridiculously loud beep, so I removed the back, located the piezo beeper - it is black, about 1cm round with a hole in the middle. I scrunched up a small bit of tissue paper and sticky taped it over the hole. Voila! Now I can only just hear the beep which is ideal. Also I reseated the micro SD card because it didn't want to print. All good for now.

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:09 pm

I agree I love the Up Mini but do not appreciate the loud beeping noise it makes. Needless to say if I wanted to open up my printer and start fiddling around with the insides I would've purchased something to that extent. Being that I have no desire to start fiddling with the insides I do agree that it should be a software update. The fact that they haven't done so is a bit annoying hopefully they'll do it soon.

Carnivore

Re: Re: Stop the beeping!!!!

Post by Carnivore » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:34 pm

LittleStevie wrote:I and all others in a busy, noisy construction office were being driven insane with the ridiculously loud beep, so I removed the back, located the piezo beeper - it is black, about 1cm round with a hole in the middle. I scrunched up a small bit of tissue paper and sticky taped it over the hole. Voila! Now I can only just hear the beep which is ideal. Also I reseated the micro SD card because it didn't want to print. All good for now.
What micro sd slot?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

alcrp

Post by alcrp » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:37 pm

Eric_at_Tamaggo wrote:For my part I installed a screw in the middle of the buzzer hole.
The screw can be tighten or loosen to adjust the pitch and intensity of the sound.
I used a M3 screw, but I needed to open up the hole a little with a drill bit because it wouldn't fit at first. I guess a M2,5 or M2,2 would fit directly.

I hope it helps!
+1
Definitely the best way !