Extrude problem clunk clunk clunk clunk

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
mroth

Extrude problem clunk clunk clunk clunk

Post by mroth » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:42 am

Hey all,

Recently I removed the nozzle for cleaning. I let the nozzle soak in acetone to get all the gunk out/off and poked a pin through the end to make way. When I replaced it and went to extrude material into it, the material would start to enter, and stop with a clunk clunk clunk clunk sound stopping it. I thought it might have been the nozzle, so I removed it to test the extrude again, and it's still doing it without the nozzle. The material's not the issue, as I was printing with it earlier today, and I've tried other filament. I suspect it's the motor that pulls the stuff in that's clogged. I don't want to open this thing up if I don't have to because I wouldn't know what to look for exactly.

Any ideas?

wackojacko

Re: Extrude problem clunk clunk clunk clunk

Post by wackojacko » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:47 am

Remove the two screws above the fan on the head. Unplug the fan plug, unplug the yellow cable. Then pull the entire section to the left.
There is a small cover, flip that off.

You'll most likely see white plastic dust around the drive gear, clean that and replace.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

mroth

Post by mroth » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:42 pm

That did the trick. I appreciate the quick reply, thanks Bruce :)

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:32 am

No problem, happy printing!!
Bruce

clementine

Post by clementine » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Any tips for when that didn't work :/

There was no build up at all

roller

Post by roller » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:53 am

1. You're starting your print too close to the bed which effectively seals the nozzle (some clunking is acceptable)
2. Your printing with ABS on the PLA setting
3. Your printing PLA and you preheated your extruder
4. Your using aftermarket filament which is oversized or has an oval section so it jams in the extruder feed tube.

Torrick

Post by Torrick » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:42 am

I to am having this clunk clunk clunk issue.

See Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQFLypNEbU

I have tried all of the previous mentioned fixes.

I am using ABS with the original white filament material the UP Mini came with. My unit is about 4 weeks old and has worked great up to yesterday. The clunking noise continues throughout the base support material building then goes away when printing the solid materials. I am also have issues with the support material not sticking to the build plate. It also appears to be not outputting enough material When I use the extrude feature in the maintenance tool the clunking is heard when it starts to extrude then goes away as the temperature goes up.

I have cleaned the Extrude Head, Gears, adjusted the extruder to bed height at all slighting different height and tried other material all with the same result. I also heated the build platform for an hour and then tried still with same result. It seems like the extrude head is not coming up to temperature properly during the start of the support material printing. The constant clunking and lack of support material makes the printer unusable. Please help.

njd13

Post by njd13 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Torrick wrote:I to am having this clunk clunk clunk issue.

See Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQFLypNEbU

I have tried all of the previous mentioned fixes.

I am using ABS with the original white filament material the UP Mini came with. My unit is about 4 weeks old and has worked great up to yesterday. The clunking noise continues throughout the base support material building then goes away when printing the solid materials. I am also have issues with the support material not sticking to the build plate. It also appears to be not outputting enough material When I use the extrude feature in the maintenance tool the clunking is heard when it starts to extrude then goes away as the temperature goes up.

I have cleaned the Extrude Head, Gears, adjusted the extruder to bed height at all slighting different height and tried other material all with the same result. I also heated the build platform for an hour and then tried still with same result. It seems like the extrude head is not coming up to temperature properly during the start of the support material printing. The constant clunking and lack of support material makes the printer unusable. Please help.
I am usually a lurker. In order to get the material to stick, try abs slurry - acetone + abs (I use previous prints or raft from old prints).

It has worked great for me. I have the same problem with the extruder clunking. It might be because I am using aftermarket ABS (sainsmart). The strange thing is it only clunks when it is extruding slowly - when it puts the first 2 layers of the raft down. It speeds up a little after that and I have no sounds coming out. I have an Octave switch, so it is not the temp of the extruder, and I have cleaned all the places that were suggested (nozzle, gear, etc.). I do not know what else I can do. It is not causing a problem for the prints, as they still come out great, but the sound is annoying, and sounds usually lead to greater problems.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:02 am

Maybe a problem with the extruder stepper motor. Withdraw the filament and then print without material, does it still click?
Bruce

brad72

Post by brad72 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:42 pm

The clunk is the stepper loosing steps which means something in that area is too stiff/blocked etc so like other have said run is without filament and see if it still clunks. In the maintenance window watch the printhead temperature when extruding or withdrawing. It should reach 260 before beeping and starting to extrude/withdraw. Mine will usually overrun to 270º You usually know when it is close to temperature (260º) because a small amount of abs will extrude from the nozzle.

I would also check the diameter of you filament in 2 directions to check the roundness.

Felias

Post by Felias » Sat May 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Same issue here :(

It starts clunking and only a small amount of spool comes out of the extruder. I've dissembled the parts and can confirm that the mechanics are working fine. Also the filament-less extruding works nicely. Putting in and withdrawing filament is also not an issue until the spot where it should be heated and extruded.

From my perspective it is pretty clear that the extruder head simply doesn't get hot enough to melt the filament, so the motor can "provide" new material. There is still the other material in the way, this way it can't push the new material down, resulting in a "clunk, clunk". Here is an image of the filament after withdrawing it which supports this perspective:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdkxwueoj0e8r ... 317036.jpg

The temperature nicely shows 260° before starting to extrude, so i can only guess that there is something inside the extruder head blocking the way. Anyone ever experienced that and might have some tips?
I'm using the normal 0,75mm filament from pp3d.

EDIT: Judging from the length of the filament and it's end, it seems that the filament doesn't even reach the extruder head.
EDIT2: I read somewhere else how to check the heater tube (extruding without nozzle head mounted), and it is working fine. So the issue definitely is the nozzle for my case. I'll try cleaning it and trying again.

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Tue May 06, 2014 1:10 pm

Just a tip for cleaning the nozzle, heat it up with a butantorch (I use a small kitchen torch) and dip it in alcohol a few times. This burns out all the plastic inside the nozzle and cleans it very well. But watch out for fire hazzards! Alcohol burns with a invisible flame, so do this outside and keep your alcoholcontainer and torch separate.....
Up! Plus

eduardoh

Post by eduardoh » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi

I have the same problem,

Does anybody has pictures of the solution to the noise,
it´s not extruding, when I
I don´t know if buying a new extuder tip will work,

Every time that I Extrude an remove the filament I observe that some parts of the shell of the filament (that rip off during the extrusion)
block the filament, from entering to the extruder, I´m also observing that near the tip the filament expands and then contracts a kind of a bubble of air can be observed in the filament

heat bed is not working either I don´t know what to check
I appreciate your answers

Thanks
Eduardo

Felias

Post by Felias » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:35 am

It's the nozzle being jammed, which happens when small particles of dust get into it with the filament. You need to clean the nozzle, which is possible by several ways (one was mentioned by D3rax). I just did put it in acetone and let it sit there over night... which also worked rather well.

eduardoh

Post by eduardoh » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi I will try to clean with a drill bit and acetone

Best Regards

Eduardo

cybertim

Post by cybertim » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:00 am

I have exactly the same issue.

-Already disassembled everything and cleaned the gear.
-Already calibrated multiple times and tried different nozzle heights.
-etc.etc.

So now I disassembled the whole nozzle and put everything into acetone yesterday.
But while I was doing this some black stuff came out of the 'heating' units hole.
It's also the reason I had to disassemble everything under 260 degrees, because the stuff is hard when cold.

Then I remembered years ago when I build my first reprap you had to use some 'conducting grease' to have the heater make a good connection with the nozzle/hotend.
Could this be the main issue of the clogging and clunking, because the heat isn't getting to the nozzle anymore?
Did someone ever replace the grease? Or is something else used? Or did all the people resolve the issue by accident in this topic, because they disassembled the nozzle from the heather and in the process removed the faulty grease/conductor?

I'm planning on inserting some cooling paste (also on the cooling block itself) when assembling again tomorrow (after the acetone bath).

brainzilla

Post by brainzilla » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:55 am

Take note that normal thermal compound is not suitable for the hight temperatures in the hotend.
I did a little research on that stuff and none of the CPU stuff really fits the picture.
There are some highend pastes for industrial use and I heard that you can use Kapton - it will kinda disintegrate but make a firm connection for like the temperature sensor.

Anyone got detailed info on that problem?
Or how the regular pastes perform over time?
Will they just smoke away in 10 Minutes or get brittle but keep contact?

dario.t

Post by dario.t » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi there

I'd like to share one experience that I had.

My UP! Mini was printing perfectly for some time. Then I used new Filaments and after a while it started to "clunk, clunk, clunk". So I followed most of the recommendations and de-assembled the head, cleaned the stepper and what did I get:

"clunk, clunk, clunk"

I made fan mods to cool down the stepper and still got "clunk, clunk, clunk" with additional wrapping problems. So I went back to the beginning and measured the filament, it had sometimes 1,8 mm and some areas where less then 1,4 mm.

So together with the normal thermal expansion at high temperature the filament is too small to get properly transported by the stepper at one point. Then it starts to "clunk, clunk, clunk"!

After changing back to the filament of the former supplier, everything is back to normal. Nearly printed 2 kg of filament ever since.

Hope that helps to check in an other direction.

cheers

Dario

roller

Post by roller » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:36 pm

Yup, stay away from cheap filament from dodgy suppliers as it often inconsistent width and sometimes crap in the filament which will eventually clog your nozzle.

cybertim

Post by cybertim » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:14 am

Solved my 'clunk, clunk..' by soaking my nozzle for a day in aceton and using a needle to clean the whole thing out.
It was brand clean internally and on the outside after some pinching.
Also cleaned the gear feeding the filament, there was some 'filament powder grind' stuck between the teeth because of the 'clunks'.
Afterwards did some new calibration and nozzle height setting.. it's now printing like a new printer.