extruder stuttering

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
dalekav

extruder stuttering

Post by dalekav » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:48 am

Hi everybody.
I've been printing with my UP! mini for about a month now and everything has been working good but tonight my machine seems to have developed a bit of a problem.
The extruder keeps making a thud ... thud ... thud ... sound and the plastic coming out onto the print bed is varying from normal thickness to non existent in the space of a few millimetres.
Unfortunately this means that none of my prints are coming out.
Has anyone else had a similar problem? and if so how did you fix it?

thanks in advance
Dale

wackojacko

Re: extruder stuttering

Post by wackojacko » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:33 pm

If you are getting a clicking sound in your extruder then it sounds like it is blocked, on our UP 3D printer manual we have a section how to check and clean it www.3dprintingsystems.com
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

roller

Post by roller » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:48 pm

It definitely sounds like your extruder missing steps. This can be from a jammed nozzle but can be a few simpler things. If your filament slips in the extruder for any reason (nozzle jam being one of them) it will tend to shred the filament which in turn fills up the extruder teeth. So:

- check you have the right filament set for the filament you are using (the PLA setting with ABS means it wont sufficiently melt and skips - the ABS setting with PLA will often mean the PLA softens too early and is so soft it fails to grab on the gear)
- withdraw your filament, remove you extruder and clean out the teeth of you extruder (a couple of screws on the wind barrier is all you need to remove)
- if these quick fixes don't fix your problem it's probably a nozzle jam so go through the process of cleaning your nozzle like wackojacko suggested.

dalekav

Post by dalekav » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:19 am

Thanks for the advice, it looks like it was a blocked extruder.
After removing the nozzle part and soaking it in acetone I was able to remove some of the excess plastic from inside.

The printer is once again printing.
thanks again
Dale