Use PLA filament

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
roach

Use PLA filament

Post by roach » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:36 am

Hi,

I 'm searching for some more info of the Up Mini and I was wondering if you can use PLA filament with the same extruder or do you have to change something.

Best regards

roller

Re: Use PLA filament

Post by roller » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:17 am

You can use the same extruder but because the Mini doesn't have manual platform leveling (making it less practical to print raftless - which in turn makes PLA printing less hassle) and the enclosure tends to retain the heat which is less desirable for PLA print quality as well as causing the Extruder to heat up causing jams with soft PLA then I would say it is not the best choice for PLA. The Up Plus is a better choice though you will probably still need to add some cooling mods to reliably print with any PLA.

If you are happy to use premium PLA like Softfabb which has a higher softening and melt point then either printer will do fine.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:44 am

Hi roach,

When you switch from ABS to PLA let it extrude @ ABS setting and then put the setting to PLA/gram in the software.
Most of the ABS left behind in the extruder will get purged out this way. ;)
Always breath out on the way UP

LonV

Post by LonV » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:06 am

My biggest problem with PLA (and the problem I probably won't switch over permanently, even though the Colorfabb stuff is awesome) is that raft and support removal are a pain in the ass (at least compared to ABS). But warping with ABS on certain parts _might_ be a bigger pain in the ass. :D

roller

Post by roller » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:08 am

The support removal is about finding the right temp setting and still far superior to support removal on reprap. Of course on reprap you can TURN SUPPORT OFF.

Raft support is clean and trouble free once you get the rght temp with Colorfabb ... which is about 200C on ABS setting. The only reason I use Colorfabb is so far I haven't managed to jam it. All my other PLAs that I use on my reprap have jammed once the extruder warmed up. I'm going to add chilled air injection to fix that soon.