Some questions (7) from a new Up! Mini Owner.

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
85miles

Some questions (7) from a new Up! Mini Owner.

Post by 85miles » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:22 am

Hi

Just got the Up! Mini Yesterday and so far love it.

I just have some questions that came to mind and cannot seem to find answers in the manual.

1. Can print an object then unplug the usb from the computer? Will this alter the model in any way? My 2yr old pulled the usb out today and I frantically went to plug it back in.

2. when in Print settings; What does unsolid model do? Will it use more filament?

3. In Print Settings; What does Shell and Surface do?

4. How can I prevent hollow objects (like a jug) from printing support material inside? Im finding it a waste of time when my hollow objects have a zig zag support structure inside.

5. Is it normal for the print filament to be strung across and drooping, it seems the printer does this on purpose when printing the base of the "Jug" for instance. It has very loosely laid filament across a few layers of the bottom of that print.

6. Can I turn the BEEP -ing sound off or lower it? (Children sleeping)

7. Im having some trouble removing raft from some objects, especially small ones like this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:41960 Any tips? (I cut my finger pretty bad with the included spatula today, those darn gloves are so uncomfortable)

Thats all that comes to mind now thank you very much!!

85miles

Re: Some questions (7) from a new Up! Mini Owner.

Post by 85miles » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:22 pm

I have the raft part figured out, now printing 4-5 layer raft and the object comes off quite easy.

I need to figure out how to change orientation of objects in the Up! 3d software. I have something that prints on its side and I want it to print flat... how Do i do that? I hit move but seems to do nothing, same with rotate

roller

Post by roller » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:46 am

!. The USB is just used to setup the printer and download the model to the printer ... once it has started printing (actually once it has finished sending it to the printer and you hear the first beep to say it's done that) you can unplug the USB and it will continue hppily until the print is finished. The only reason to keep the USB connected is to be able to pause or stop the print through the software. Generally, it is preferrable to remove the USB as some owners have had problems with some spurious signals/noise on the USB killing their print jobs if it stays plugged in.

2.This should be ticked if your STL is a bit broken. The software will ignore issues in the model but the output is unpredictable. Generally if you have a problem in your model (model appears as red) then using the autofix is preferable. If autofix can't fix it then "unsolid" will let you print it anyway. Without checking that box the printer will refuse to print it. You can also reprai your models through Netfabb's online service. cloud.netfabb.com

3. Shell hollows out the centre and prints with a normal multi-layer wall. Surface is for printing single layer models and only prints the outer surface (someone chime in here to clarify better.

4. Try Shell. Change support angle to the lowest number possible gets you the least support in norml print modes (ie not Shell or Surface). We cannot turn support off completely on normal print modes.

5. I think you are talking about the filament in the raft. Yes this is normal and is part of making the layer able to peel away when the print is done. If you are seeing it elsewhere and you are using aftermarket filament it is because you extruder is too hot for non genuine filament. Search the forum for making a temperature mod (search on resistor and switch will give good results)

6. No! It upsets a lot of people. There's a cap to place over the beeper on thingiverse - I found a piece of foam double sided sticky tape stuck over the hole in the beeper worked better.

7. The included scraper is more like a scalpel - be careful. During the print, leaving the wind barrier open will in prints the raft and first layer will make it easier to peel away. Again if you are using non genuine filament a temp mod will make it print better and support material, including rafts, easier to remove. Once printing is done I bend the perf board by pulling down at the sides and pushing up the middle. I do this on all sides to break the join a bit.

realrouge

Post by realrouge » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:26 pm

added info:

ad. 1: I'm always connected when printing and had no print issues related to that. But it's true that once the file is transmitted to the printer the printer does not need the connection anymore.

ad. 2: 3d models that were not designed with 3d printing in mind can benefit from this option. Most things I have printed from thingiverse did not need the option though..

ad. 3: My first shel print was the stanford bunny: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3731 The Up prints it very well and saves a lot of time and material. HAve not tried the surface option yet but I guess it will do the same but with thinner walls?!
these models print also very well with shell option: http://www.thingiverse.com/andreas/designs/

ad. 4: shell or maybe try the preferences > support > area > only base option. This will print only the raft and no support. Make sure support is really not needed. (software 2.0)

ad. 5: base raft and support raft is printed in a way it can easely be removed.

ad. 6: speaker cover http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31957

ad. 7: you already figured out the number of layers so just experiment with those settings. I have used most filament from Formfutura and plastic2print.com and noticed that the filament which was included with the printer was most easy to remove. So you can experiment with the material also.

ad. 8: select the object. click on rotate. select degrees form dropdown (for example 90). click on x,y or z-axis symbol and voila!. when ok click on Place symbol to place the object correctly on the surface for printing

welcome to the magic world of 3d printing! ;)

85miles

Post by 85miles » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Thank you guys for the replys, it helped me significantly!

Is there a pause feature? Besides selecting the box before it prints. I want to do a dual color print and pause to change the filament, but I can only see a "pause at layer #" value... I do not know what layer I need to pause at. Is there a pause button or perhaps a way to see your model broken up into layers, so then I could distinguish which layer I need the printer to pause at?

Thanks again.

obewong

Post by obewong » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:06 am

In regards to 9.

You can minimise the sound by placing a small neodymium magnetic ball like one from those puzzle game Neocubes in the little speaker hole.

You have to take the case off to do this. I'd post a pic but I'd have to remove the case again and I'm lazy.

Bit of a hack but it works. The magnetic field cancels out the sound waves.

obewong

Post by obewong » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:15 am

If you take off the cover, soldered on the motherboard there's a speaker which looks like a black round plastic thing about the 30mm in diameter with a hold in the top. After you've located this, stick a neodymium magnetic ball in the hole and put the cover back on. The magnetic ball interferes with the piezo sounder and restrics the plates from vibrating. Thus, quietens the sound.