Bright green filament issues

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
jeeplvr

Bright green filament issues

Post by jeeplvr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:08 am

I have used nearly every Octave color in the rainbow but for some reason I cannot use the bright green. It clogs the extruder tube every time. I can use the extrude function all day and have miles of green strings but when it comes time to print, the extruder clogs almost instantly. Any ideas?

roller

Re: Bright green filament issues

Post by roller » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:28 am

Maybe a bad batch? Carefully check none of the wrapping (if they use cling or shrink film type wrap) has stuck to the filament. The tiniest bit can run into the extruder with the filament and clog it. Also if the filament is dusty or a contaminated batch and has something else in it then it can be a problem. I hear Octave is usually pretty good but over the last few years of buying filament I have known just about all the good suppliers to get stuck with the occasional bad batch.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:25 am

Roller could be spot on about the wrapping causing the problem. Octave's supplier ( and one of mine) recently changed the cling wrap they use to wrap the filaments. This new plastic stuck almost permanently to the filament. Some rolls may have been salvaged, but it is quite possible that some plastic was missed during removal.

I should add this was only one shipment, and they no longer use this wrap. Perhaps contact Octave and see if they will replace it for you.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:10 pm

The cling wrap was horrible. I would waste up to 10 coils or more to get rid of it from the filament. Sometimes it could be scraped off but it made the filament brittle and plugged the nozzle.
Anyway I figured out what was happening. I have noticed some of the spools are warped and the inside diameter on some of them is way tight. It looks like maybe the filament is wound to the spool too tight and it crushes the spools a little. I fixed the problem by getting a 1-15/64" drill bit to hog out the spools.
Also some suppliers are selling a larger spool than others and it wont fit my spool holder. It is Octave but the spools are about 1/2" longer.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:16 am

With mine it actually made the plastic extremely brittle - I lost an awful lot of plastic off the roll but it was too brittle to print so I discarded it all. I didn't notice until later that it had lots of hidden plastic attached to it.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:43 pm

When talking about ABS I was told by a very reliable source that if you can bend the filament back on itself and if it does not break it is probably prime plastic, but if it snaps or breaks suddenly then it is probably "Regrind", this plastic that is recycled and not very good, many suppliers might try to slip in regrind when making spools as it saves them money but can mean brittle parts or miss-feeds.
When the company I work has injection parts made we specify "No Regrind" for this reason.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

roller

Post by roller » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:20 am

That's interesting. In this case though it was wherever the wrap touched it was brittle ... wherever it escaped it was fine. I find it unlikely there was any chemical reason for this and presume Octave or others had their shrink wrap heater turned up way to high.