Nozzle / printhead problem

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Dimarzio

Nozzle / printhead problem

Post by Dimarzio » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:34 pm

Hello,

I'm a fairly new user of the UP! Mini. So far it has been a learning curve though a small one :) Unfortunately, as of today my nozzle didn't really print good anymore. I was in the middle of a print when I saw the nozzle was moving midair and half of the object was, well, lower. I thought immediately of a blockage in the nozzle.
I did some withdraw and extruding to check what's happening, I also notice it makes a "clanking" noise. Like something's blocking? Hard to describe. Plastic DOES come out only it looks like it comes out in rhythm with the clanking noise coming out the printhead/block. So it doesn't come out nicely, pouring down in a straight line, instead of that it curls up almost immediately against the nozzle. Now I think of it, maybe it can't press the plastic good enough through the nozzle or maybe not at the right speed?

I clean the nozzle and components very frequently every time after a few prints. I clean the nozzle with acetone which works very well. I'm a bit anxious to take the whole head apart but I'm afraid there's no other option? I already cleaned the nozzle and surroundings. What I do always do is take of the mini-fan, the cooling ribs and then the plastic cap with the small electronics headers for the fan and heating to the nozzle. So far, not really a problem.

The question is, do I really need to take it further apart? Is that how most people here clean their nozzle?? Sometimes I just soak the nozzle and the metal block attached to it, in acetone, just enough so the nozzle is under. So I guess IF there IS a blockage it could be further up??
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this issue otherwise I think I'm forced to contact the support :)

thanks!

Dimarzio

Re: Nozzle / printhead problem

Post by Dimarzio » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:26 pm

Well, apparently this always happens to me AFTER I post something! My apologies! It appears I have clogging issues and I need to remove all the gunk out.... So I will follow up on tips for trying to get the filament dustfree ;-)