PVA

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Numonic

PVA

Post by Numonic » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:19 pm

Will PVA be available anytime in the near future for printing out our raft material in Up Mini? Or even Up Plus? I've been wanting this feature even before I purchased the Up Mini.

wilsonj

Re: PVA

Post by wilsonj » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi Numonic,

I've use PVA for exactly that. But unfortunately PVA doesn't stick very well to ABS, and it is also quite soft which allows the ABS to warp quite easily.

Are you having trouble with your raft removal ? Mine peels away extremely easy. What filament are you using ?
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:11 pm

I used the Up Mini's Plastic at first when I got it. But I chewed through it pretty fast doing all my protoyping. I eventually purchased more filament through Afinia, being that the Filament from where I purchased my Up Mini was kind of pricey and I only wanted the regular white roll. How is your setup? Do you have one nozzle for regular ABS and another Nozzle pumping out PVA? Hmmmm is that even possible with the Up Plus? haven't seen a setup like that.

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Do you have one nozzle for regular ABS and another Nozzle pumping out PVA?
I wish Afinia/Up! had this - would make life with 3d printing so much better.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:49 pm

Hi
An interesting figure that has been quoted is that only 10% of users of multiple extruder/nozzle 3D printers actually use more than one of the extruder/nozzles when printing. Plus, it seems reasonable that those 10% only use more than one nozzle for some prints.
I own a twin extruder/nozzle Replicator clone and have never used both extruder/nozzles. I consider the the second extruder/nozzle as a spare part ready to be used if the other one breaks down, and have removed the nozzle from it while it sits idle.
Once again, just my own opinion.
Regards
Lawrence

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:18 am

Numonic wrote:I used the Up Mini's Plastic at first when I got it. But I chewed through it pretty fast doing all my protoyping. I eventually purchased more filament through Afinia, being that the Filament from where I purchased my Up Mini was kind of pricey and I only wanted the regular white roll. How is your setup? Do you have one nozzle for regular ABS and another Nozzle pumping out PVA? Hmmmm is that even possible with the Up Plus? haven't seen a setup like that.
Yes the OEM filament is expensive. Interestingly I have found one of the biggest differences with after market ABS is dimensional accuracy.

No I don't have different nozzles for ABS and PLA, although I don't print that much PLA anyway. I do have 2 nozzles on my other printer, and I keep one for each material on that.

I would agree with Lawrence regarding dual head machines. In general they are not worth the trouble.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au