UP MINI

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
twocycler

Re: UP MINI

Post by twocycler » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:42 pm

I dont consider inserting a washer and tightening a screw to be hacking. I am not being a cheerleader here. I am very happy with my Mini. I trust it to print during the night and when i return in the morning and there's a pretty part for me. I am familiar with the Ultimaker and its positives and negatives. I also follow the numerous user complaints with the Replicator 2. Am i not allowed to be happy with my printer?

Once again, when i bought my Mini I took the time to read the pp3dp website. I saw that the Mini was designed to only use perf boards. To assume you could use glass, or aluminum, or something else is not presumptive? This would not be more hacking than adjusting screw heights? Also, if you read the FAQ page, it clearly states the printer wont print wall sections under 1.0mm. I really do wish you could get your bed leveled and enjoy the print reliability i have experienced.

I hope things work out of you.

roller

Post by roller » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:18 pm

Inserting a washer is a near impossible task for me at the moment. I don't intend to provide details and am pissed that I have had divulge some of them to get any consideration whatsoever from my dealer although still I am stuck with my Mini paerpweight... but the reason an Up was purchased and the reason my repraps are now sitting idle is that I am not in a position to undertake such repairs. For your info twocycler, I also thoroughly researched the Mini and even asked question directly on the phone to the reseller (actually multiple suppliers to make sure I had as much info as I cold) read the forums and watched every single second of the madox video. Much of the information re issues has come to light since I ordered my Mini and in fact was only brought to the attention of the forum because I pointed it out ... the only only reason the Mini fails in all these regards is THE BED IS NOT MADE FLAT.

The Mini specs also state very clearly a 120 x 120 x 120 print area but the bed is not flat and with the software levelling (which came along well after I received and needed the Mini the most - for my final model for my review) I can only print 105 x 105. Sure I can print 120 x 120 if i lift the print 15mm off the bed surface but then 2 days of printing (required for all my parts) turns into a week of printing and my 60% filament waste turns into 95% filament waste.

I am glad you are satisfied with your Mini. You probably bought after we found out they were wonky, need a software fix to print without cheese grating the nozzle and you run Windows by default. I bought mine before this (a month ago) when I was told all the issues in the beta models had been fixed. I still do not have a software solution to print with levelling using my Mac nor can I get an answer on when that might be coming. Even the Windows software does not have enough adjustment to fix my 1.3mm level variation!

So I am glad you are happy with your Mini and it fits your needs but I would appreciate if you stop beating on those of us who have a crap one that is giant paperweight that turns rolls of expensive filament into a shoebox of rafts with nothing to show for it. Keeping in mind I am an experienced reprapper who has produced immaculate prints for 12 months - I am not averse to mods, hacking or tweaking a printer ... except I bought a Mini because now I am in a position where I can't do all that. I now have made a huge investment and I have nothing but trouble and harassment from people like you and a dealer who just keeps telling me to fix it myself or to send it back despite local law requiring them to fix it for me! Neither solution provides me with any kind of useful outcome.

Overall, purchasing a Mini has been the most disappointing purchase I have ever made and it could only have done worse if it burned my house down. You'll also be happy to know I recently discovered that every time you move you Mini you will probably find it gets out of whack. I moved it very carefully to demonstrate it to someone and now the variance in my bed has changed again. Even my Prusa (reprap) didn't need as much recalibration after the same journey.

roller

Post by roller » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Well I feel a little exonerated. Make's Ultimate 3D printing was glowing in their review of the Up Plus (giving it best overall) but criticised the Mini for its lack of bed heat, unlevel bed and poor documentation and unlike the Plus had problems getting good print. My experience exactly.

karl

Post by karl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:25 pm

I just got my Mini yesterday 8-) and I checked so see if the was bed level, it was out by 1.2mm on the left by inserting a couple of washers (I had to hunt around to find two to get the thickness to as close to 1.2mm) then inserted, that was much easier than I expected, don't know what all the bleeting is about. Sure I did expect the machine out of the box just to work - which is does besides this easy little fix to align, that's no biggie for me. I would rather align flat to print without a raft in the future.

How do you switch the light on inside the Mini?

Does anyone know a good place to get good engineering models, not your thingiverse type site?

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:44 am

So sorry, Roller, I wish there was something we could do to help. That sux :(

julia

Blown454

Post by Blown454 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:10 am

Hello Roller,

"... and a dealer who just keeps telling me to fix it myself or to send it back despite local law requiring them to fix it for me! Neither solution provides me with any kind of useful outcome."

Respectfully, how will it ever get fixed if you don't send it back, and you aren't in the position to fix (not that you should have to!)? What is the solution that would work for you (what can 'they' do to make it right?)? I really hope you get things to your satisfaction soon, I don't envy your position at all. :(

roller

Post by roller » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:39 am

Sorry ... I mean send it back for a refund only. No repair, no replace option. I have made a big investment in Up materials so I don't want to be handed a refund and sent on my way.Then I am out of pocket nearly $300 for plastic which is otherwise useless to me.

woofy

Post by woofy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:39 am

I think I would take the refund, then purchase a new mini with all the fixes done: from another dealer.
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

roller

Post by roller » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:08 am

There is no other dealer ... it's a monopoly in Australia as I understand it. All our Up supplies some through the same company and everyone else in the country is a reseller for them so no matter where I go it's the same. PP3DP have told me they will only deal with Australian's via that supplier.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:33 pm

karl wrote:I just got my Mini yesterday 8-) and I checked so see if the was bed level, it was out by 1.2mm on the left by inserting a couple of washers (I had to hunt around to find two to get the thickness to as close to 1.2mm) then inserted, that was much easier than I expected, don't know what all the bleeting is about. Sure I did expect the machine out of the box just to work - which is does besides this easy little fix to align, that's no biggie for me. I would rather align flat to print without a raft in the future.

How do you switch the light on inside the Mini?

Does anyone know a good place to get good engineering models, not your thingiverse type site?
The bleeding happend before this fix was presented. Plus some bed levels were terrible plus other issues. You will do your own bleeding one way or another. Think at it as a learning curve. Be sure that the pp3dp team are there for you, if not this community steps in to help you the best they can. To turn lights on; press the on/off twice

Happy printing :)
Always breath out on the way UP

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:58 pm

roller wrote:Sorry ... I mean send it back for a refund only. No repair, no replace option. I have made a big investment in Up materials so I don't want to be handed a refund and sent on my way.Then I am out of pocket nearly $300 for plastic which is otherwise useless to me.
If I was in your place I would seek an upgrade option to a full-sized Up. Return the Mini and get an Up at a discounted price to compensate you for your inconvenience.

That said, if they are offering you a refund and a Mini is what you really want, then why not take the refund, then buy a new Mini?

Julia

Minestorm

Post by Minestorm » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Overall, purchasing a Mini has been the most disappointing purchase I have ever made
Buy a Replicator 2 - you won't believe how good it is.

roller

Post by roller » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:52 pm

I have a repstrap that can easily match a Replicator 2 ... they're not that impressive. It's a maintenance, tuning and tweaking issue.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:02 am

Minestorm wrote:
Overall, purchasing a Mini has been the most disappointing purchase I have ever made
Buy a Replicator 2 - you won't believe how good it is.
If you only want to print in PLA, that is...

marto

Post by marto » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:58 am

So AFAIK in australia there is the official 3Dprintingsystems. There is also BilbyCNC and 3dprintergear. Although I am pretty sure Bilby & 3D printing gear resell via 3D printing systems.

And in Australia if the product is not fit for use the company is legally obliged to repair, refund or replace the product.

Steve

twocycler

Post by twocycler » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:31 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 17264 times
So, out of curiousity I thought i might try some raftless printing on my mini. I dont have any borosilicate glass laying around, but i do have some 3oz copper clad pcb material. I took a piece and cut it to the same size as the stock perf board. I covered it in kapton tape, wiped it down with acetone, then sprayed it with aquanet. I ran 1.17, checked the no raft option and printed a couple of small prints. Everything worked with no problems. I didnt even have to reset the starting platform height as the thicker pcb material is referenced from the top rails and not the bottom of the board.

I have to say that while i didnt try a really large, flat print that I think I will stick with perfboard and a raft. The biggest reason is because the bottom layer is distorted due to being crushed when laid down. When i peel a raft off i still get a smooth but more dimensionally accurate part. Also with 1.18 platform leveling the part sticks like glue to the perfboard. I just dont feel like i will get the same hold strength with raftless.

Blown454

Post by Blown454 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:44 am

Ahhh I got ya Roller, I do understand what you mean on the investment part. I hope someone steps in and makes it right, or it gets worked out for you. Maybe a fix will come from the community that will make it right eventually?

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:32 pm

Just wanted to know how is the progress on the software update released v1.18 going?
Have these updates helped in getting better prints both in warping? Support material generation and rafts?
It's been a bit quite so sounds like either everyone is still tinkering or has not had good results?

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:49 pm

Thought everyone would like to see this pretty informative ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z5KVv8o3fI

roller

Post by roller » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:58 am

Just to let everyone know my Mini went back. Bruce from 3D Printing Systems helped me with us coming to a refund arrangement and I managed to get one of the Plus models in the Black Friday sale (yay!). Now to be fair to 3D Printing Systems and PP3DP, I don't know if everyone can expect a refund for their Mini - I purchased very early before some of the design intents of the Mini have come to light so make sure you understand the differences and capabilities of the two printers and caveat emptor.

I did a lot of Mini printing and experimenting to try to get the best out of it and will soon be doing the same on the Plus. So if anyone has any direct comparison questions I am happy to help and as many of you have already read I will state it as I experienced it without any punches pulled :)