UP MINI

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
eyUP

Re: UP MINI

Post by eyUP » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:29 am

Edward wrote:We will also upgrade the software to support print very few raft.
Edward, can all these updates be made into option so that people who like the current raft can still have them ?
I see that you are trying to respond to issues by altering the software but there are people who are happy with how things are at the moment. There is a danger that you will be running round in circles trying to please everyone.
I know too many options can make the software appear hard to use, but I really think you should consider some advanced options which a normal user would never bother looking at. eg: Nozzle temp adjustment, raft border width, number of raft layers, adjustable fill widths (to get a more solid print), ABS flowrate adjustment to allow for more solid or more delicate prints.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:09 pm

Eyup

I agree that we need some of these "advanced " features. I have just posted a compilation of the wish list, on the wish list topic. Where I observe, as you, that much time is being devoted to a "fix" for thew mini mechanical design limitation, but almost none to UP Plus benefits.

cheers

Peter

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:25 pm

It's a good list and I'm sure lot of them could have be implemented in the time it took to add software level comp to 1.18... there must be dozens of variables and constants in the software - it can't be that difficult to add a user interface or a configuration file to allow advanced users to play around with them.
I've always admired how the UP! has always just worked out of the box and given exceptional print quality, but it's now time to address these niggles which are attracting more and more complaints (raftless, thin wall, no support, solid fill, print preview etc..) ... the competitors in this price bracket are catching up and will soon overtake the UP! - especially if they work out of the box but also allow for lots of "fine tuning"

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Eyup

I agree that we need some of these "advanced " features. I have just posted a compilation of the wish list, on the wish list topic. Where I observe, as you, that much time is being devoted to a "fix" for thew mini mechanical design limitation, but almost none to UP Plus benefits.

I agree that alot of time is put at this area but they are trying to put out a fire, as they should be if they knowingly have released a product knowingly that it has these defects. Especially after doing all that marketing they are liable for lawsuits, knowing this they are putting there efforts in keeping this fire from spreading any further. And just because Wackojacko suddenly appears backing Edward up saying that the problem has been solved. I beg to differ I believe they have yet to solve this issue I think they should recall the line all together and have these issues fixed. Although thats just my opinion and so far I see that they are doing pretty good with the pictures posted in comparison with the Mojo which is alot more expensive from what I've seen on the website. :)

twocycler

Post by twocycler » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:49 pm

Hey, it's not just Wackojacko supporting the 1.18 leveling fix. As i stated in another post, my mini platform was out approximately 0.70mm and the software solution works great for me. I started my own software company in 1985 and as a programmer in a past life i think Delta came up with an elegant and effective solution. As far as no attention being given to the Plus, how about the 1.18 wall knitting change Edward demoed today.

I have owned a Plus and a Mini, for all this recent bashing thats going on i dont feel that its completely fair or justified. Most seems to be coming from roller who bought a mini assuming he could print raftless and walls thinner than 1mm. From reading the pp3dp website it was clear to me the Mini wasnt initially designed to do either one of these things. I applaud roller for pushing the envelope but he has to be reasonable and fair at the same time.

Numonic you are throwing around terms like flawed and lawsuit, but last i read you did not yet own an Up! Printer. Considering wackojacko seems to have a great deal of experience i have reason to doubt his conclusions especially as they seem to echo my own.

I dont mean any offense to anyone, but im personally very impressed with the work that Delta has done.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:41 am

Twocycler, you are lucky. Most is coming from me because I read a specification that I could print 120x120x120. Not 105x105 on the base because space is needed for the raft to fix a bed that is crooked. This is a fudge because manufacturing wasn't up to spec and for the for first two weeks I could barely print at all and had a thousand dollar brick while I waited for 1.18. Also my Mini is out by 1.3mm so this fix does not solve the problem for me anyway it just means I can not print smaller object adequately. If I print anything bigger than 90x90 it fails because I can't level the platform. If mine was as level as yours I would be over the moon.

The Mini was sold as being able to print raftless and print a certain volume and it doesn't. I have just finished a submission that the Mini was bought to print. Unfortunately I couldn't print a single part and had to fire up my old reprap because all the parts were designed 110x110mm to fit the Mini ... except they don't/

Also, I have asked for mine to be replaced or repaired like Edward said suppliers would and my supplier has refused. I am not the only one and there is plenty of discussion going on outside the public boards as we look for a solution ourselves since those of us with really wonky Minis have been left out in the cold.

Excuse me for expecting a built product, not a kit does not live up to the advertised specs. I am sure you would be upset if the car you bought for you family only had two seat because a manufacturing flaw meant they couldn't fit the another 3 seats in.

Oh, and as a final blow I work on a Mac so I have to get my CNC PC out of the garage every time I want to print something with 1.18.

I have complemented the Mini as much as I have complained about it - if it worked as advertised and I got the support to fix the uneveness of my platform I would be singing it's praises (thin walls is a little disappointing - I just wish this was made clear). I am even demoing the machine for a client today but I will make it very clear what the true limitations of this machine are at present and that it's a little bit of luck as to how level you machine is especially here in Australia where you can't be guaranteed the supplier will fix your machine if it is seriously out of whack. If you also read my first posts you will see just how much repair my machine needed on arrival.

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:51 am

Two cycler throwing those terms is in fact correct, and yes I will throw lawsuit into it cause it's false advertisement :) And yes I don't own one cause I'm doing my homework and research. And if I were to purchase something and it's faulty I would at least like a return but I've heard on the forums some resellers are claiming to be from one country and in fact in another.
And yes there is plenty of noise going outside the forum I'm an informed consumer and from what I've heard there are alot of disgruntled people out there with faulty printers.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:48 am

Hi all
just my opinion here!
I too did several months research on many brands, models and types of 3D printers. In the end I chose the Up! over the Mini and other brands, and I am very satisfied with my decision.
Yes, I initially had an issue with my printer that required a warranty claim. I was extremely satisfied with the prompt and courteous after sales service I received from Lee at Bilby CNC in Australia.
Probably the most important thing I have discovered is that 3D printing at the consumer and hobby level is still in its infancy, and all of us are, to some extent, beta testers for a still developing technology.
I am confident that if I had waited 5 years I would be able to purchase any of a number of brands of 3D printer that will be truly plug and play, and that will not require regular adjustment and fiddling with to get good prints.
But, I like to think of us earlier adopters as pioneers in a fast developing technology.
Yes, there will be challenges to face, but who the hell wants to wait until everyone on the block has a "MacDonalds" 3D printer.
Yes, the Mini has teething problems, as did the Up! and probably all of the other alternatives. But, it is those teething problems being resolved as they arise that improves the technology.
When my relatives, friends, and colleagues see my Up! in action they are in awe at what it produces.
I think we sometimes view our 3D printer as just another tool instead of the trail blazing technology that it is.
My only complaint is that I am constantly sore from kicking myself for not purchasing an Up! 12 months before I did.
Regards
Lawrence

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:03 am

Hi UPers!

Both PP3DP and ourselves are working very hard to resolve any issues that are at hand. If your printer can be leveled with a software solution then that's great, a new software update will be coming soon. Shipping printers back and forth will only cause more damage to them, after all they are precision instruments that you want to work to 200 microns, if the courier driver decides to play footy with yours then that opens another can of worms with calibration etc.

We are here to help, if you are an Australian or New Zealand customer with an UP Mini or UP Plus please get in touch with us and we'll do our best to get you sorted.

Thank you to all our customers that support us and really love to hear from your positive feedback. I just had a college order another 6 Minis after they already have four, there are hundreds of UP Mini customers that are happy with the Mini and for the price and quality output it is fantastic value for money.

Kind regards
Bruce

Happy Printing!
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:42 am

This sounds promising wackojacko are there any other users out there who have the minis that are able to post some videos via youtube of projects being printed.
With the updates that are being mentioned on this forum? Or just printing your own projects and are willing to share? I'd love to see more besides madox review before it was available to the public.

Blown454

Post by Blown454 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:11 am

We just had a mini delivered to my office today, had it printing within 10 mins of opening the box :). It won't be staying for long as it was purchased for a long time friend but I'll probably have for a week or two. I've already printed several things flawlessly, the bed was out a little (maybe .3mm FR) but nothing that the software didn't handle with relative ease. It sure is a cute little thing, seems quite capable, and this is the type of printer I would send off to college with my engineering major student daughter (that was a mouth full)! I do have ulterior motives you know :). Not a huge footprint, and just works (just like the Up just works).

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:12 am

That's great news @Bown454!

If there are any other UP Mini users that could chime in and share there experiences it would be appreciated. Forums are normally a place where you come for help and learn new tips, but if you could also share your positive experiences with others that would greatly be appreciated by all.

@Numonic here is a gallery of UP Mini prints, videos coming soon.
http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 1d164c0154
Bruce

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:17 am

@Numonic here is a gallery of UP Mini prints, videos coming soon.
http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 1d164c0154
Can anyone remove the UP! plus print photos from that thread ? It's a bit misleading if all the prints shown have not been done on the Mini
eg: http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 0154#p8576

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Wackojacko,

Thanks for the update I have seen these and are great! I was talking about people that haven't had that many issues and are printing away models.
It would be helpfull to see there workflow and what has worked and what hasn't worked. But it was awesome seeing the dragon and seeing the Up mini prints along side the Mojo! I was floored
at the comparison of them both. Plus I like it to be a more pristine white then the yellow tint the Mojo has.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:22 am

Here is a document on how to level your UP Mini platform, please if you can recommend any improvements to this please let me know.
http://3dprintingsystems.com/UP_Mini_Pl ... ration.pdf
Bruce

marto

Post by marto » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:07 am

After following this guide lastnight I was able to get my entire printer bed to within 0.4mm. It was like 2-3mm off before hand. Took about 30min to do and solved all my issues.

Has anyone drawn up a better clip for the filament at the back yet?

Steve

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:59 am

marto wrote:After following this guide lastnight I was able to get my entire printer bed to within 0.4mm. It was like 2-3mm off before hand. Took about 30min to do and solved all my issues.

Has anyone drawn up a better clip for the filament at the back yet?

Steve
Hi Steve, that's great news - please could you post pictures of your prints in this post to share with others. :)
http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... ccfa147905
Bruce

twocycler

Post by twocycler » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:56 am

Hey Wackojacko,

It is a very well written explanation. I think just about anyone with a screwdriver and 1.18 software should have no problem getting their bed level. Nice work.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:56 am

twocycler wrote:Hey Wackojacko,

It is a very well written explanation. I think just about anyone with a screwdriver and 1.18 software should have no problem getting their bed level. Nice work.
Thanks @twocycler glad it has helped you. Have a great weekend :)
Bruce

roller

Post by roller » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:24 pm

But if I wanted to yield a screwdriver I would buy an Ulitmaker with Netfabb, same price, 8 times the build volume, 4 times the print speed. The reason to buy a manufactured printer is so you don't have to pull it out of the box and rebuild it. I bought one because for particular reasons I can no longer pull apart and assemble printers otherwise I would have stuck with two excellent repraps which, just like the Ultimaker exceed the specs of the Up.

So while you are all patting each other on the back about how you can hack the Mini into a working printer how about looking at the bigger picture which says, "why not just deliver a working printer in the first place".