Burnt bits in prints [solved]

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
roller

Burnt bits in prints [solved]

Post by roller » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:34 am

Ok ... so I'm new to the Mini but an old hat at 3D FDM printing. Why, oh why do my prints keep ending up with burnt bits of ABS in them.

- I clean the nozzle before each print
- I'm using genuine UP filament
- I am using the leveling Beta of teh Up software so I am not gouging up heaps of previously printed ABS like we have to do to deal with our unlevel Mini beds
- I watch it closely through the raft - no loose filament being picked up
- I have printed on fast, normal and fine
- I have pre-extruded and cold started a print ...

Still through all that I am left with scorched ABS inserted within everything I print. I never, ever had this happen in hundreds of reprap prints with ABS. Why is it happening on my Mini?

Numonic

Re: Burnt bits in prints

Post by Numonic » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:04 am

Wondering how is the base of your up mini? Are you having issues like everyone else on the forums? WIth the base being unleveled?

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:41 am

Your print is getting too hot. Have you got the wind barrier open so air is blowing on the print ?
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller

Post by roller » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:05 pm

No, I have it closed because I have large (area) thin prints - and they will warp and have poor adhesion. Also it is junk building up on the nozzle. I think it's due to the perfboard warping mid print and pushing layers into the nozzle. Am trying an army of clips to hols it flat for my need run.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:44 pm

warping of the platform could be the issue. But the only time I ever had OEM filament burn was when I didn't have enough air moving over the print.

Fully understand the issue you are having with warp though. This is why I use a chamber!
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller

Post by roller » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:30 am

My warp issues are actually the perfboard alone which warps on heating. But I am constantly getting brown bits of genuine filament in my prints. I will pay more attention and see if I can get to the bottom of it. I do see a lot of visible off gassing with my filament as it prints. Is this normal? Maybe my head is getting too hot even for the Up filament?

roller

Post by roller » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:56 am

Solved ... the burnt bits are all part of the priming extraction which are printed on the part of my Mini bed which is too low and they pop off during printing. Had to watch 4 prints to notice... painful to do.

Has anyone tried turned the Mini LEDs on mid print?