move error-printer stops

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
twosheds

move error-printer stops

Post by twosheds » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Hello All, I have a problem printing abs parts with a mini up. The printer stops mid print (usually near the top end) and the extruder head buries itself in the printed item. The software reports 'move error'. If I repeat the print using all of the same hardware, stl file and the same software settings it prints ok. generally I get one print from 3 attempts using the same conditions. I am using netfabb cleaned/repaired stl files.

If anyone has found a fix for this please let me know.

roller

Re: move error-printer stops

Post by roller » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:59 pm

I had exacyly this issue and for me it was that lubricant handn't been properly fitted to the rails that guide the platform up and down. Also there is a tensioning spring on the belt for that axis which, if placed incorrectly, can catch.

Pull off the back hatch and you will be able to see the rails. With clean hands, run your finger up and down the linear rod the Z platform runs along and check that it is lubed from top to bottom. In my case only the lower half was properly lubed and just spreading the excess lube on the lower half fixed everything. Check that first. Then move the platform up and down gently by hand and watch the belt tensioner - see if it looks like it could catch at the level where your prints were failing.

twosheds

Re: move error-printer stops

Post by twosheds » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 am

Thanks Roller, I have checked clip clearances which are ok. I have oiled the uprights and the x and y bars. I have now only had one failure in the last 4 prints so some immediate benefit has been gained.
twosheds