Uneven Z platform on Mini

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
doraemon

Re: Uneven Z platform on Mini

Post by doraemon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:35 am

Boat supply places will have MEK, as it's used with fiberglass repair, I believe. I've also seen it at hobby shops, Tap Plastics (chain store that specializes in plastic), and some hardware stores. You likely won't find a place to ship it, though.

roller

Post by roller » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:04 am

All the decent hobby shops evaporated some time ago so there are none anywhere near local. Apparently some Bunnings have it but it is kept under the counter and you need to find someone who has a clue to get it for you.

I thought boat (fiberglass) places sold MEKP which is a very different beast. Annoyingly I gave away a bottle about 9 months ago because I found I never needed/used it with my other printers 100C and kapton was all it took.

Does no one want to comment on how you pause a print??

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:46 am

The local boat shop had MEK specifically. Could be different restrictions depending on where you live (I'm in California).

You can pause a print from the Maintenance Window while a print is happening. I believe it is just above the Cancel button? Once you pause a print, the button becomes a Resume Print button. I can't remember if it was added in 1.15 or 1.16 of the software.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:26 am

To pause a print just go into the maintenance screen and click pause.

www.3DPrintingSystems.com
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

roller

Post by roller » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:08 am

There is a "Stop All" button but no pause button. I am on the latest version of software (1.3) so I guess it's a Windows only thing.

Tried a Bunnings, boating store and a hobby store ... no MEK. If I hadn't had some before I would think it's some made up chemical for noobs so you can send them on a wild goose chase ;)

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:54 am

Hi,

Not sure where you are based but MEK (Butanone) is available via Ebay here in the UK, and they will ship to you.
5 litres costs around £21 (US$32). (I do not know whether they can ship it abroad !)

As others have advised, boating industry uses MEKP, but this is NOT a solvent, it is the curing agent for GRP (Fibreglass resin)

cheers

Peter

roller

Post by roller » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:10 pm

I am based in Australia, MEK shipping is restricted which is why no one stocks it anymore and yes it was actually me who suggested they generally stock MEKP which is a very different beast. It's funny you can get 5L for $32 where we'd be lucky to get 500ml for that - when I had some I paid about $12 for 50ml from memory.

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:34 pm

Strange. I can get a gallon of MEK for USD40. The boat store had it for a bit more, but not much more. I bought a quart can for about USD12 for use at work; that should last for years.

roller

Post by roller » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:37 pm

It's all about the material handling restrictions apparently. One of the guys in a quality hobby store explained why they don't stock it anymore (essentially because we live in a nanny state). He did also explain that the local Bunnings (hardware) did have it but no longer knew they had it and probably wouldn't get it back in - there shelf for it was nearly empty. Apparently it will probably be only sourceable (in clear) from Agricultural suppliers and then only in large (20L) quantities.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:50 pm

MEK available in Australia at these hobby shops http://www.simplyglues.com.au/#!__shops
Brand is EFD Simply Glues
http://www.shoptown.com.au/products/MEK ... -shop.html
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

roller

Post by roller » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:40 am

Three hobby shops say they no longer stock it because the material handling requirements are too painful now. Some hardware stores stock (a found a Bunnings that still had plenty) it but the clear is unlikely to be restocked so its a matter of finding those which have old stock. Agricultural suppliers will still stock it as it is still legal to use for ag pipe joining but the ones I called start at 1L minimum. Considering everyone considers it too toxic to stock it doesnt make me feel that great about using it.

Do you think we will be able to beg for thin wall support. It really widens the scope of potential for printing. Since it will be impossible to get such small walls right it wouldn't matter about dimensional accuracy and they could just be replaces with a single or double line in print.

Is there any word on how the calibration will behave? Obviously the print will be compensated to meet the board but will the print be rotated to remain square to the table or will it require a raft that will be level by the top - or some other strategy?

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:54 am

Hi All,

I wrote about problems with the bed being uneven. Yesterday (Sunday 22-10-2012) I noticed that the first few layers of the raft take care of that "out of level" and indeed the pref-board bounces up and down a bit. I should have known this about the raft already. I have another printer and on that machine to, the raft is essential in order to get a good basis. This goes for other machines to, provided that the " gap/out of level " is not to big. I believe that in the maintenance menu of the mini the software checks if you have the nozzle in between a certain spacing and the software will ask for confirmation.
This is to set the nozzle-bed distance of course but also imported for the raft.

Thanks Julia for confirming what I saw yesterday, ref. your post in "Hello Guys" :P

Cheers, Matt
Always breath out on the way UP

ScottJ

Post by ScottJ » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:05 am

Hi all to,

I to have recently received my new mini. And like many other haven't been able to print straight out of the box (but will be soon).

This forum has been great so keep it up.

But firstly have been working on the bed not being level issue. I printed the spacer as recommended (had to move the print to the right side of the board to print as this was the higher side and it printed fine). This helped the level issue. If your not sure where to fit it see the second image below its on the right hand side.

Secondly I noticed that the platform wasn't flat, higher in the middle. However the perforated board was flat when removed and also the heated build platform. But when inserted it wasn't flat again. So I've tried the following:

1. Trimmed the perforated board to fit between the clamps.
Board.jpg
Cutting Board
Board.jpg (30.07 KiB) Viewed 10615 times
2. Fitted the perforated board with the clips provided (and have left the leveling spacer fitted as well)
Fitted.jpg
Board Fitted
Fitted.jpg (46.71 KiB) Viewed 10615 times
Note you will need to re setup the nozzle height again as the bed now theoretically higher (and flat). My bed seems to be good now ±0.1mm.
Now I'm working on the next issue of the part lifting (as you can see starting to happen in the second image). Looking forward to what luck you have and helpful tips also.

roller

Post by roller » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:28 pm

Nice solution. I don't want to do anything radical in case mine goes back ... it's sitting idle for the moment while I work out what to do and finish my folio for end of semester. I found that on full width prints the nozzle would foul on the side clamp because it was now a little high due to the spacer - your solution bypasses that nicely. The only downside being you depend solely on your bulldog clips to hold the board but as that's all I've used on repraps for the last year you shouldn't have any problems there either. Great suggestion.