UP! Mini

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Scott

Re: UP! Mini

Post by Scott » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:05 am

Scott

Post by Scott » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:09 am

Print 5: Stanford Dragon

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:27666

I wasn't expecting the printer to handle this one. But it did it way better than I expected.

The support material inside the mouth was difficult to remove but came out OK in the end.

Scott

Post by Scott » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:14 am

Print 6: Tiny Clumsy Dragon.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18365

Inspired by a thread on this forum i decided to print this one at 0.3 scale.

Came out OK but support material was really hard to remove. I think I should have printed it bigger :).

Scott

Post by Scott » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:19 am

Yoda

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:14104

Very happy with how this came out.

Scott

Post by Scott » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:32 am

Flower and Vase:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6504

I printed the flower at scale 1.0 and the vase + stem at scale 0.75 (i think)

Stem had nu-necessary support material and no top (internal stricture viable on top side. Weird.

Used hot glue to attach stem to flower and I drilled a hole in the vase to insert the stem.

Vase was printed a 0.35mm resolution and fast speed.

That It from me for today. Sorry about all the consecutive posts.

Currently printing a screw-less gear heart in Orange.

If anybody has files for things printable in one go with moving pieces (i.e. a working adjustable spanner etc) post a link and I'll give it a go. Thats an area of interest of mine.

In other Up! Mini news: I had to take apart the extrude to clear a blockage (after trying for an hour to get a new bit of filament to feed). Also my printer has now been booted from the living room to the garage due to the nasty smelling fumes it was giving off.

Sometimes the freshly extruded ABS steams (I think its steam, mite be smoke?) just after leaving the extruder. Is this normal?

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks for all the pictures. Shows a very capable addition to the Plus printer.

As for the "steam" Looks like you are printing with aftermarket filaments. These usually have a lower melting temperature (~210-250C) This would be the cause of the nasty smell and steam/fumes. There are ways to reduce the temperature on the Plus printer to avoid this, and I would imagine they would work on the Mini too.

BTW, the fumes are most likely poisonous.

I would be very keen to know what the temperature gets up to inside the chamber. Any way of measuring it??
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

mechatanuki

Post by mechatanuki » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:29 am

Hey dudes with UP Minis! Just wanted to report a bug I've noticed with V1.17b so might want to avoid running that till its sorted - basically when printing a part with external dimensions 'smaller' than the metal perf board guides, the machine will lower the nozzle into these to do the initial 'nose wiping' and collide, making the machine lose a step! :shock: Resetting the machine is needed to return the Z height to normal. A workaround has been to move parts so their leading edge is in front of the metal guides so the wipe doesn't collide with them.

How are people clipping the filament into the little guide on the back? It's too tight for the tube but I've had the filament jump out of it and ruin a 5hr print by jamming between the spool... Might need a redesign.

Also my machine came with a broken rod clip, so while waiting for the replacement, printed a temporary spare. :lol: Will stick up on thingiverse. 8-)

Gotta say, totally loving being able to hot swap perfboards and have the next part printing in minutes...

Scott

Post by Scott » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:09 am

Welcome mechatanuki.

Yay. Another Up! Mini user... :)

Yeah I'm running the beta too (1.17). It I was really worried the first time the print head crashed. Was drilled into us when we did milling at uni that crashing the head can cause major carnage.... Turns out to not be so bad on the 3d printer.

I broke that feed clip on day two or three. (user error... I forgot I had to feed the filament in and out of the clip and tried to just to yank it out) feed tube currently held in place with tape. Mite cad up a better feed clip when I run out of other cool stuff to print or get fed up with having my printer held together with tape.

I'm pretty happy they put in three perf boards.
wilsonj wrote:Thanks for all the pictures. Shows a very capable addition to the Plus printer.

As for the "steam" Looks like you are printing with aftermarket filaments. These usually have a lower melting temperature (~210-250C) This would be the cause of the nasty smell and steam/fumes. There are ways to reduce the temperature on the Plus printer to avoid this, and I would imagine they would work on the Mini too.

BTW, the fumes are most likely poisonous.

I would be very keen to know what the temperature gets up to inside the chamber. Any way of measuring it??
The white is the abs that came with the printer. The orange and black is "plastic fantastic www.3dprinterfilaments.com" that the nz up! distributed sells.

Thanks for the heads up about the fumes. The don't smell healthy....

Can't really measure the chamber temp sorry. I'll see if I can find a thermometer somewhere at some point. I would describe it as warm not hot. I remove the freshly printed perf board with my hand and it's not too hot to hold at the edges.

twocycler

Post by twocycler » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:31 pm

On my new Mini the platform temperature always shows 51.4C. Anyone else? The platform heats and seems to get much hotter than that, but the temp never changes.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:46 pm

The v1.17 is in beta for the UP Mini and the display of the platform temperature I believe is coming soon.

www.3DPrintingSystems.com
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:16 am

On my new Mini the platform temperature always shows 51.4C. Anyone else?
Mine also showed 50% !
I think it's basically just to tell you that the heater is on as there is no temperature feedback (thermistor)

walker407

Post by walker407 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:20 pm

Just got mine in yesterday, and my first print came out really well! I'll try to post some pictures soon. I am having problems with the LED lights though... Is there anything extra you have to do to turn them on?

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:57 pm

I am having problems with the LED lights though
I find the double-clicking of the front button a bit hit and miss...you seem to have to get the delay between the two presses just right

walker407

Post by walker407 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:59 am

Thank you for the help, I got it working, but now the part that connects the platform to the z motor pulley system broke. Are the 3D printed parts used in the Up Mini available for download? Today hasn't been a good day :(

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:30 am

Have a look in the v1.17 beta example folder under program files UP

www.3DPrintingSystems.com
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

walker407

Post by walker407 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:49 am

Where can I download 1.17? I checked out the downloads page and it isn't there.

Scott

Post by Scott » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:31 am

walker407 wrote:Where can I download 1.17? I checked out the downloads page and it isn't there.
Go to 3dprintingsystems.com then support then software :)

mechatanuki

Post by mechatanuki » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:47 am

Probably worth printing one of these in case your rod supports break, I've noticed they're made from a very hard but brittle plastic. My spare seems to be doing a decent job! :lol:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:30893

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:14 am

the part that connects the platform to the z motor pulley system broke
Was it this part ? Mine also broke so I modelled another slightly stronger one before I got the files from pp3dp (let me know if you want to try my part)
up-mini-broken-part.jpg
up-mini-broken-part.jpg (16.67 KiB) Viewed 15850 times
I also have these Mini parts from a couple of months ago..they may have changed since then however
Mini ABS Part.rar
(68.48 KiB) Downloaded 647 times

twocycler

Post by twocycler » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:09 am

Since it is not mentioned in the manual, I assumed it was not necessary to level the build platform on the Mini. I keep having lifting issues on the far right side of the platform, so I checked it for being level and the right side sits about 0.5mm lower than the left side. Also when using the software to position the platform, everything seems to be shifted to the left and it will not position over the extreme right side of the platform.