UP! Mini

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Scott

UP! Mini

Post by Scott » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Everybody. I have been watching this forum for a while, but this is my first post.

My Up Mini arrived this morning. Yay, at last. :)

I'll let my snapshots do the talking...

This board rejects my images as they are over 800 pixels wide. The other PHPbb board i use has a bigimg script that is really good. Can we get that here?

Anyway photos are here:

http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af80 ... Up%20Mini/

Was really hard to get the printer to extrude initially, feed motor would just click and nothing would happen. I have got it working now.

I am about 1cm into the bunny print. Looking really good.

I was really pleasantly surprised to find out that the front door has a clear bit in the center so I can see my prints.

Anyone Else's Mini's arrived yet?

Scott

Re: UP! Mini

Post by Scott » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:36 am

jspark

Post by jspark » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi. Scott!
Wow! UP Mini!!
I think you are the first UP Mini User on this forum.
Conglaturation! :)

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Congrats Scott! Nice pictures. I see a few differences from earlier photos.

Have you any idea how hot it gets inside the build chamber ? I'd be interested to know, as the extruder stepper has a thermal limit of 80C and it gets pretty hot in the open on the UP Plus.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:38 am

Are me eyes deceiving me? From the photos it appears that the mini has a wind barrier with open/closed lever. Also, is there a light just above the model and illuminating it? These are most easily seen in photo number 17 on Scott's Photobucket gallery.

Scott

Post by Scott » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:09 am

wilsonj wrote:Congrats Scott! Nice pictures. I see a few differences from earlier photos.

Have you any idea how hot it gets inside the build chamber ? I'd be interested to know, as the extruder stepper has a thermal limit of 80C and it gets pretty hot in the open on the UP Plus.
Thanks, they are just cell phone snaps.

The stepper motor was allmost to hot to touch when I was trying to get the extuder to work before my print. The build chamber gets warm but I don't think it is heated. I think the heat comes from the table and extruder.
Lawrence wrote:Are me eyes deceiving me? From the photos it appears that the mini has a wind barrier with open/closed lever. Also, is there a light just above the model and illuminating it? These are most easily seen in photo number 17 on Scott's Photobucket gallery.
I think your eyes are just fine :), I agree with your observations.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:14 am

Thanks Scott.
The Up! Mini looks very interesting with its lighted build chamber, the wind barrier, the peep window, and the slide in build platform.
Any change of photos of the finished bunny - close up so we can see the print quality and visible layering?

Scott

Post by Scott » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:25 am

Lawrence wrote:Thanks Scott.
The Up! Mini looks very interesting with its lighted build chamber, the wind barrier, the peep window, and the slide in build platform.
Any change of photos of the finished bunny - close up so we can see the print quality and visible layering?
Yip. im stoked with the printer so far. I put some photos of the bunny in the album i linked in my first post.

I will post some pictures close ups with a real camera when i get a chance. could be a couple of days.

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:11 am

I was really pleasantly surprised to find out that the front door has a clear bit in the center so I can see my prints.
That's good news!
Thanks for the pics - I've had a pre-production Mini for a while now and it looks like some of my concerns have been sorted (eg, the head mounting looks far more solid)
Can you tell me if the slide-in perf board has a way to be locked in place or is it a nice tight fit ? I found mine would sometimes shift about when the nozzle was close to the board, building the first raft layer.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:06 am

The perfboard is a much tighter fit now, the new screwless magnetic head is awesome. Also the led lighting is a plus.

www.3DPrintingSystems.com
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:29 am

Also the led lighting is a plus
Yes it's cool..when you realise how to turn it on that is! (Double-click the button on the front in case anyone is wondering)

A slight issue with the new extruder's (on both Mini and latest UP's) is that the ribbon connector on the PCB now has extra pins to cater for the LED and an (as yet) unused 2 pin connector.
This may cause issues with service replacements... you'd have to be careful to order the 14 or 16 pin versions

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:46 am

Looking at the Mini, it makes me wonder if a new Up! using a similar enclosure is on the horizon. It would be a winner. Anyone heard any whispers about that?

Scott

Post by Scott » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:31 pm

eyUP wrote:Can you tell me if the slide-in perf board has a way to be locked in place or is it a nice tight fit ? I found mine would sometimes shift about when the nozzle was close to the board, building the first raft layer.
The mini was supplied with small bulldog clips, and also lots of small screws. The manual recommended using the clips but for the bunny I printed last night I didn't bother.

The slide is so tight that I was concerned about damaging the heater board when I went to remove the perf board from the printer after printing the bunny. Came out ok in the end though

The extruder heat crashed into the slide in metal side pieces when I let the printer head height auto test run. - I assume this is an issue with the beta software I am running. - I just said no to the test.

If you click the buttons to move the head from say front left to rear left the head stays well inside the metal bits.

I'm now printing the ball bearing from: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3981 I was going to use the dog clips tonight but the corner of the fan housing bumped one of them when I was checking the UP! Mini's range of movement so i removed the clips. The perf board seems to be very securely held without them anyway.

The print looks good so far (about 5mm vertically printed).

Scott

Post by Scott » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:59 pm

First Print Pics as requested

I took also some Macro images with my camera as requested but they are too wide to post directly and I can't be bothered shrinking them. They can be viewed on page 2 of my UP! Mini album.

http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af80 ... Up%20Mini/

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks Scott, the prints look great quality!

twocycler

Post by twocycler » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:32 pm

Has anyone noticed that on the home page of the pp3dp.com there is now a graphic listing the specs on the mini? What caught my eye was that it says layer thickness is 0.20-0.35MM. Is this a typo,or does it go down to 0.20 and not 0.25?

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:35 pm

Yes. I saw it too but think it is a typo because when you go to the Up! Mini link the resolutions still states .25mm. Would be good if it was reduced to 2mm minimum.

Scott

Post by Scott » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:52 am

twocycler wrote:Has anyone noticed that on the home page of the pp3dp.com there is now a graphic listing the specs on the mini? What caught my eye was that it says layer thickness is 0.20-0.35MM. Is this a typo,or does it go down to 0.20 and not 0.25?
I saw that too, however I can confirm that the minimum resolution available in my software is 0.25mm

Scott

Post by Scott » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:55 am

Second Print:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3981

Printed really well. Runs well too.

Scott

Post by Scott » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:03 am

Print 3

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:29135

I would describe this as a failed print. the cube printed with big gaps under each or the corners. (A problem with the file i think). The support material was hard and messy to remove. Also an area on the top of the cube failed to fill in solid.

This was my first non-white print. and the first time I changed the detail (speed) from fine to normal.