Raft keeps lifting from perfboard

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
healewis

Raft keeps lifting from perfboard

Post by healewis » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:09 am

Hi Could anyone tell me why the raft begins to lift from the perf-board part way through the print job? I have used almost half a roll of material and have only managed to successfully print the Rabbit!!! As things stand at the moment, I have decided to give up with the printer and sell it on ebay to the highest bidder.

What a waste of time and money

mb20music

Re: Raft keeps lifting from perfboard

Post by mb20music » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:15 am

Make sure the platform is level, make sure the nozzle height setting is correct, and always preheat the platform and don't start the print until the platform temperature reads
95-100%.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:22 am

Hi
When I started with my Up! Plus I also had rafts lifting off the printbed.
Luckily, I found out about the Gekko sheet. Very little problems with lifting, even printing large models.
I should mention that in my Up!Plus I only use the genuine filament.
Gekko kits are currently available on eBay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221212194394 ... 1497.l2649
There is another ceramic product that looks promising also now available for the Up! Plus on eBay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ceramic-prin ... 1e79f05da4
There is also a version for the Up! Mini at: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ceramic-prin ... 1e79f06205
The Gekko sheet has been a solution for me, but now I need a similar solution for my newer Makerbot Replicator clone, which regularly lifts off the printbed. I am sure that the Gekko made the size of its 23cc X 15cm printbed would be a solution, but If the ceramic product is made available for that size I will try that too.
In the meantime I \have had some success using the corner disk method (See: http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6871), but I have found that having three 1X1 mm rings radiating at 1cm then 2cm then 3cm radius from the corner with a 10mm gap between them has worked best. The first two seem to lift then the third tends to hold. I weighed the extra ABS used, and it was only a few grams - comparing favourably with much more ABS, and time wasted on failed prints.
I hope this gives you some hope of success with your Up!
Regards
Lawrence

LonV

Post by LonV » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:08 am

The platform needs to be level AND the perf board needs to be clean (I find an acetone wipe in between prints helps a great deal).

kitutal

Post by kitutal » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:43 pm

I've been having the same problem for a while, and nothing I've tried seems to have worked. Those ceramic plates look helpful, I don't suppose you know anywhere other than ebay that I could get one? seems that site doesn't like me at the moment.
Otherwise I guess all I can do is keep trying. It doesn't help that my printer prints the first layer from quite a way above the base board, pretty much just draping the material gently over it, so it doesn't stick, but if I move it closer, then it's too close on all the other layers and starts pushing against the model and twisting it out of shape.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:16 pm

kitutal wrote:I've been having the same problem for a while, and nothing I've tried seems to have worked. Those ceramic plates look helpful, I don't suppose you know anywhere other than ebay that I could get one? seems that site doesn't like me at the moment.
Otherwise I guess all I can do is keep trying. It doesn't help that my printer prints the first layer from quite a way above the base board, pretty much just draping the material gently over it, so it doesn't stick, but if I move it closer, then it's too close on all the other layers and starts pushing against the model and twisting it out of shape.
When you are setting the nozzle height, are you using a folded piece of paper to measure the distance between the nozzle and perboard?

healewis

Post by healewis » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:23 am

Thanks all for your helpful responses, I did some checking prior to posting and found that the print bed was not quite level the gap was larger at the rear of the bed and that is where the raft always lifted from! I set the bed up again and wiped the perf-board with acetone and Hey Presto! it worked fine :?

I have printed 7 objects since and none of them have lifted :shock: I like my printer again now :lol:

Thanks again

Paul