Grinding on and on

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
seadm

Grinding on and on

Post by seadm » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:18 pm

Hello everyone,

We have a UP! Plus and we have grinding on and on.

We have cleaned the nozzle, the extract column and the stepper gear and we always use original UP! filament.

What can we do?

Best regards

JothamB

Re: Grinding on and on

Post by JothamB » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:45 am

I found my first layer was too low on the print bed. Get a good first layer height.

I also found that when my material temperature was too low it would grind. Print at the recommended temperature for the filament since its UP branded you should be able to go off that I'm guessing, however I have found that sometimes, a material can be advertised at 220-250c but it grinds when printed below 240c. So I print that one at 250c without problems.

Slowing down the print can also help. You should disassemble the extruder, and clean the teeth in the drive gear very carefully. Be careful to not let any contamination to fall into the nozzle that is not filament - last thing you want is a blockage.

seadm

Post by seadm » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:52 am

Hi, Jonathan

Thank you for your response.

The platform height is correct. I have adjusted it with the indications of the manual and I have adjusted other printers many times.

Also, I can't control the temperature. The temperature of the printer automatically adjusts to 270 degrees Celsius. The grinding occurs even in the maintenance extrusion only, while I test it a couple of times. Also, I can't control the printing speed on this machine. The software is too limited.

I cleaned the nozzle, extrusion column and stepper motor gear. I don't know what else I can do. Is it possible that the stepper motor gear can't pull the filament with sufficient force?

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:18 am

Temp and speed can both be adjusted in upstudio, but as you're seeing grinding on just a simple filament extrude then there is something else in play. What happens if you extrude without a nozzle on?
Owen S.