Print stopped at 75%

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
jayceekeys

Print stopped at 75%

Post by jayceekeys » Wed May 21, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi,

I have just started with my Up! Plus 2 (less than 24 hours in) so sorry if this is a silly question - I thought I best ask to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong!

I got to about 75% of my print and the printer just stopped. The LED kept switching from green to red as if it were printing, all axis were stationary and the nozzle remained in place as if mid print the machine had frozen. In the software it was evident that the bed and nozzle temps began to drop as if the print had completed but obviously it hadn't.

I checked on the forum and others had been told to use the inspector in similar situations so I opened it up and ran it. It wouldn't let me cut and paste so took a screenshot:

http://postimg.org/image/4pmg6apxp/

I think the other person that reported they had experienced this issue said that it only happened once and then never again but thought it best to check !

Thanks for your help,

Jay :D

Rene1981

Re: Print stopped at 75%

Post by Rene1981 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:13 pm

Hello Jay,

did you try another object to print? and did you have the same problem with it?

jayceekeys

Post by jayceekeys » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:43 pm

Hi Rene1981,

Actually at the time I put it down to a bad STL file and have been printing a lot since successfully (although nothing quite as tall).

Today I actually tried printing the same object that failed before - after running it through NetFabb. It failed again at exactly the same height. I decided to rule out the file and just printed a 12.5cm pillar. The print failed at exactly he same height with that print too! 76mm above the raft.

It has to be a problem with the machine or the setup I have. The printer initialises fine and the bed can rise and drop to the full limits of travel freely without any problem. It also "clicks" at the expected lower parked height indicating that the limit microswitch is engaging at the right place.

It just fails and displays Move Error Err Code 002; X positive limit error

Any advise will be really gratefully received !

Thanks

Jay

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Can you post the .stl file

jayceekeys

Post by jayceekeys » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi there,

It turns out that it fails on any file that reaches the height of around 76 mm. The file that originally failed was quite complex, so I quickly made the file that i have attached in the hope that it would rule out the specific file I had been using as the source of the problem. I have printed the attached new simple twice now. Both times the print reaches approximately the same height of 76 mm and then the printer just stops - it doesn't lower the print bed but just leaves the nozzle frozen at the top of the print. As the error is registered, it then shuts down the heating elements.

It seems strange that the error is actually reporting as "X" axis given that the issue seems to occur at a set height and therefore seems more related to the Z axis. Also, as you will see from the simple file attached, the nozzle is only printing a tower - so every layer is identical in terms of X and Y limits of travel. there is no reason that a limit of X should be reached given that the tower prints perfectly vertically and in the centre of the bed. The file is very thin and tall and I printed it at 0.25 fast settings in the trials just to get to the point where i thought it may crash quicker. Obviously being so thin and tall, the tower doesn't come out that clean (too little time to cool between layers), but it does the job for testing.

It just doesn't make sense. As I think I mentioned in the thread before, the printer is new and seems to have done this from day one (just in case that makes a difference - i.e. setup / build rather than a component failure).

Best wishes,

Jay
Attachments
test.zip
(313 Bytes) Downloaded 319 times

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:44 am

When the printer is powered off, are you able to raise and lower the build plate across the full range of Z motion? I'm wondering if there's a physical obstruction somewhere. Saw this happen when using an overly long mounting bolt on the side for mounting a tool holder.

jayceekeys

Post by jayceekeys » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:41 am

Hi Doraemon,

Yes, with the printer powered off it moves freely in all axis. It also initialises fine - and if I do a nozzle "go to" height it raises the bed fully to the nozzle (or paper width distance rather).

Cheers,

Jay

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Might be temperature related. Have also seen cases where the cooling vents on the side were blocked, leading the printer to (eventually) overheat and cause that error. In one instance, I think we had a box blocking it. In another, the flex cabling inside the printer was blocking the vent. Tucking it to the side sorted out that problem.

jayceekeys

Post by jayceekeys » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Hey Doraemon,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

To be honest if it was stopping after a set time had passed, I could imagine it being a temperature related thing, but it's always the same height irrelevant of how wide the print is - so a print of 15 minutes just a tall column would fail at the same height as a print that may take several hours to reach the same height due to it being wider.

I haven't had a reply from imakr where I bought it but was hoping for a fix rather than having to rerun it to them as I'm not near them and it would involve shipping and delays being without my printer :(

Jay

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:55 pm

The internal cables that route the signals for the limit switch may be shorting as the service loop reaches that location or even tugging the connection to the switch or main board enough to cause a sensing as though the printer has hit one of its hard stops.

Inspect all cable lengths and re-seat all connections that are involved with movement (service loops), manually run all axis watching the cable movements looking for pinch/grab points.

Unfortunately the manufacturer does NOT use "robotic cables" in areas that have service loops, and so you will have eventual cable breaks (see platform heater cable), PS: ribbon cable is not necessarily rated for the number of cycles these machines put them through.

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

jayceekeys

Post by jayceekeys » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks Drew and all of you that offered advice. Imakr technical support contact located me today and sent incredibly detailed instructions for diagnosing the fault - along with photos giving step by step visual aids.

Drew hit the nail on the head - I've copied the description I sent back to imakr in case it gives anyone suffering from a similar failure a heads up :

"All of the connections were fine on the main pcb, so I buzzed out the loom at the pcb end that connects to the X limit microswitch. The switch is normally closed going open at the limit. When the print bed was lowered from the top to the bottom parked position, the switch would go open circuit at the point where the print had been failing. I checked the loom and the three core ribbon cable had a compression in the insulation and appeared to be far too flexible (indicating a break) at the point where it bends around the printed cable guide that attaches to the x axis arm.

I would have replaced the entire loom, but didn't have any molex connectors to make the pcb end up, so decided to splice a new section in - replacing from the microswitch back up inside the helical cable sleeve and passed the mounting clip to a section that doesn't flex, where I spliced and heat shrinked into the original loom.

I've reassembled and run the tower print and it works perfectly !"

So once again I'm happily printing and thanks to all for your advice and guidance.

Cheers,

Jay :)

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:40 am

Glad you got it fixed. :D
It is unfortunate that the cables that flex and bend are not of a better quality, but that is how you keep the main purchase cost down and replacement parts at a premium.
:ugeek:

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

amarler

Post by amarler » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi Guys

I am experiencing this error code 002 on my Up original, I have had it multiple times and as described by jayceekeys, but sometimes the message will appear and the printer will stop, other times it will move to that position ie the error but it won't catch itself and continue to print approx 16mm away from where it should be.

I'm slightly confused by the expiation of the cabling problem and don't see how it such an issue would cause this problem, can anyone 'dumb' the explanation down a bit and solution as I'd like to get this sorted. FYI my prints fail at around the 10mm mark not great for much really!

thanks in advance