How to get good results with Taulman 618 (DRYING TIPS?!!!!!)

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
D3rax

How to get good results with Taulman 618 (DRYING TIPS?!!!!!)

Post by D3rax » Wed May 07, 2014 12:07 pm

I would like some tips on how to get good results with Taulman 618.

I've ordered 2 spools a few months ago. My first prints, a few gopro mounts, came out nicely (I use a 6 ohm resistor). The surface of the mounts were smooth, only support removal was a bit hard. Later on the quality of the prints were getting less good, surface becomes ruff and bubbly. After not using the spool for a few months printing with it becomes nearly impossible, the parts are very bubbly. Also when I extrude the Nylon, the extruded string is very crumbly and ruff and it breaks real easy.

Is this purely due to a excessive amount of moist that has build up in the nylon? Or do you guys have some more tips on getting good results again? Is there a good way to dry the nylon (I also have a spare spool of nylon that I haven't touched yet....), besides drying it in a kitchenoven? I hope there are some better options, I don't think the idea of heating nylon in a place were you cook food is a wise thing to do....

What are your experiences with Taulman bridge? They say its not that sensitive for moist absorption?
Last edited by D3rax on Wed May 07, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up! Plus

twocycler

Re: How to get good results with Taulman 618 (DRYING TIPS?!!

Post by twocycler » Wed May 07, 2014 12:57 pm

My experience with 618 was exactly the same as yours. Initially it printed great, but now its all steam and bubbles.

Ismay

Post by Ismay » Wed May 07, 2014 5:53 pm

This is definitely a moisture issue. I have received some Chinese nylon filament (very nice filament actually since Taulman doesn't want to extrude on my Plus) a while ago and I also got a rough texture that was caused by the bubbles (a lot of popping when it extrudes). I dried it out for 15 minutes in the kitchen oven at 80 degree Celsius and after that my prints were great. Your not melting the plastic so there isn't a strong plastic smell, if at all, so I don't think it can do you any harm.

The other way is to place it in a plastic container with cat litter and put it in the sun. I have read that this also helps but I would just go with the oven technique because it is a lot quicker. Cut off a piece of filament and place it in the oven if your unsure about the technique. I placed my filament on a wooden bread board with paper in between so that the grease of the board doesn't affect the filament.

You can perhaps figure something out with a fan heater.

Hope this helps.

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Thu May 08, 2014 1:02 pm

Thanks Ismay, I will combine your tip with Ming's tip:
ming wrote:
D3rax wrote:
roller wrote:Back to original topic ... nylon is a moisture magnet and "saturated" filaments sometimes have big issues adhering. Maybe it needs a little drying.
Any good tips on drying Nylon and on how to keep it dry?
desicant packs in a vacuum pack (you can use vacuum luggage bags) with a few packs of dessicants. I have a sealed container that i added a couple of bulkhead fittings to pull vacuum.
I'll put my spools in vacuumbags with dessicants and put those in a plastic container and set the container in the sun as much as possible. Maybe on a hot day I'll put the container in my car in the parkinglot, that would be a nice free oven :D.

I stick with my opinion that heating plastic in a kitchen oven, that you also use for preparing food, is not a good idea (I also think that the fumes caused by 3d printing itself has the potential to be harmful in the long run, but thats a different discussion :roll: ). Besides running an electric oven for that period of time uses way to much electricity.
Up! Plus

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Tue May 13, 2014 7:05 am

Let's see how this turns out....
Attachments
foto.JPG
foto.JPG (38.3 KiB) Viewed 8869 times
Up! Plus

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:41 am

After keeping the fillament in a sealedbag with dessicants, I can confirm that printing with the Taulman fillament is back on par. No more hissing and popping, but a nice smooth surface and good bounding :D
Up! Plus

Bindw

Post by Bindw » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:07 am

Thanks for these tips, I love the print that 618 gives but it really is a PIA.