Suggestion: "Turn of printer after print completed" option

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
R-A

Suggestion: "Turn of printer after print completed" option

Post by R-A » Thu May 01, 2014 10:05 am

Hi,

Could you please add an option to turn off the printer (i.e. the same as when you long press the front button) after a print job has completed? I often let long prints run through the night but feel that the printer wastes unnecessary electricity once it's finished. Most normal printers or PC's can go into a "sleep" / "standby" mode when not in use to save some electricity, and in return carbon emissions.

ming

Re: Suggestion: "Turn of printer after print completed" opti

Post by ming » Thu May 01, 2014 8:06 pm

I had the same request

workaround
- put a timer on the AC connector
- remote control - Belkin WEMO switch

if you are concerned of the bed dropping like i do then you can place a soft landing pad at the bottom
or
you can add a thin strand in your design and let it print all the way to the end and cut it off after. that way the bed is close to the bottom when power cuts off.
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

R-A

Post by R-A » Fri May 02, 2014 11:01 am

ming wrote:I had the same request

workaround
- put a timer on the AC connector
- remote control - Belkin WEMO switch

if you are concerned of the bed dropping like i do then you can place a soft landing pad at the bottom
or
you can add a thin strand in your design and let it print all the way to the end and cut it off after. that way the bed is close to the bottom when power cuts off.
That's not really very efficient. Imagine Samsung or LG telling you that you need to put your TV on a manual timer and change it everytime you walk away...? I would most certainly NOT buy such a brand. This feature request would help everyone, and the environment.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Sat May 03, 2014 7:25 am

I would like this too. I didn't realize for well over a year that the printer can be turned "on" from the software. (With the printer in off mode, power switch on, but light red) you can select initialize from the software and the printer turns on. I can't imagine it would be hard to program in an option to turn the printer back off.

caesar

Re: Suggestion: "Turn off printer after print completed" opt

Post by caesar » Sat May 03, 2014 9:20 am

The printer is always on or let me put it better, the motherboard is always on when the main power button is active.
The soft button with red light on the front is only to give you the feeling that you start it .

I think it would suffice to have an option to park the print bed then turn off power to the steppers. It keeps them hot and consumes power.
I would also keep the fan on the extruder running to cool it down. The rest of power consumption is same as in soft power off.

Just my 2c.

R-A

Re: Suggestion: "Turn off printer after print completed" opt

Post by R-A » Sat May 03, 2014 12:31 pm

caesar wrote:The printer is always on or let me put it better, the motherboard is always on when the main power button is active.
The soft button with red light on the front is only to give you the feeling that you start it .

I think it would suffice to have an option to park the print bed then turn off power to the steppers. It keeps them hot and consumes power.
I would also keep the fan on the extruder running to cool it down. The rest of power consumption is same as in soft power off.

Just my 2c.
Any electrical device, in "stand by mode" is still on, but consume much less power. As you said, the stepper motors, fan and possibly other components, consume unnecessary power when the printer isn't printing.

So, let's suggest that it should cool-off (5 minutes), lower the bed, "park" the printhead and then go into stanby mode. On a Reprap, for example, which uses an Arduino controller, you can even tell the controller to go into low power mode - which then "shuts off" non-essential components on the motherboard, but still leave the USB port active so it can startup again if / when necessary.

ming

Post by ming » Sat May 03, 2014 8:03 pm

Till tht fn arrives the timer or wemo option is what I'm using
I also have an ipcam and remote control of the laptop connected.

So till an update and hope the updates contains your wishes I'll just work with what I have. It does everything I want (op requests) except unloading and removing the supports. :lol: Most of the time the part or parts are already separated from the base plate
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Sun May 04, 2014 4:48 pm

Don't hold your breath waiting for your suggestions to become true. Just search this forum on requests or wishlist and you get an idee of what has been wished for in the past.
Hopefully Quant 3D will do something with your suggestions.

Take care
Always breath out on the way UP