T-Glase printing

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
jmog

T-Glase printing

Post by jmog » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:50 am

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has experimented printing the experimental material T-Glase in the Up! 2 printer.

I have been trying to print with this material using the PLA settings, but I haven't managed to get a complete print yet, it always stops extruding in mid print. When I extrude the material it works perfectly it's just when I am printing that it stops and in order to make it work again I have to withdraw the material cut it straight and extrude it again. That makes me think it is possible to print with this material as if it was PLA, I juste need to get the correct settings or use an external heater or fan.

Regards,

Joaquin

D3rax

Re: T-Glase printing

Post by D3rax » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:42 pm

T-glase has a very low melting point, about 207°C. This is even lower then most PLA. As printing PLA on the UP is almost impossible because the hot stepper melts the PLA before entering the hot end, it's most definitely impossible to print T-glase successfully. It explains why extruding stops mid print, because thats the point the motor becomes hot enough to melt the T-Glase.

Im not exactly sure if the hot stepper related PLA issues are addressed on the UP 2, but as far as I know they are not.

In short you need to cool the stepper motor. Search the forum on "PLA problems".
Up! Plus

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Thu May 01, 2014 12:49 am

Check the diameter of the filament, and ovalness. Some recent filaments have been over sized and get caught in the stainless tube creating friction and causing slippages.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

dsk0l

Post by dsk0l » Tue May 06, 2014 10:09 pm

Hey everyone,

I got some T-glase a few weeks back and have only been able to print very, very small things successfully. Anything taller than half an inch or with lengths or widths larger than an inch jams. I"m printing at 250 per some people's suggestions, but have tried everything from 209-260.

If I extrude after a jam, it normally comes out no problem. Also, it frequently jams mid print, and then keeps going. This happens about every 10 seconds to a minute on larger prints. I'm thinking this could point to the diameter of the filament being off (I don't have my own calipers but am thinking of investing in some soon)...

I've read in some other forums that T-glase likes larger diameter nozzles...can anyone confirm this? Am I out of luck?

If anyone has any tips (temp, layer size, speed, etc) on how to print this stubborn material, please advise!! (I'm using an Up! Plus 2 with the Octave 8 Switch Temp Mod)

Thanks!
Dskol

roller

Post by roller » Fri May 09, 2014 10:38 am

D3rax wrote:T-glase has a very low melting point, about 207°C. This is even lower then most PLA. As printing PLA on the UP is almost impossible because the hot stepper melts the PLA before entering the hot end, it's most definitely impossible to print T-glase successfully. It explains why extruding stops mid print, because thats the point the motor becomes hot enough to melt the T-Glase.

Im not exactly sure if the hot stepper related PLA issues are addressed on the UP 2, but as far as I know they are not.

In short you need to cool the stepper motor. Search the forum on "PLA problems".
You don't have all the facts straight there on PLA. First, most PLA melts at about 190C, much lower than T-Glase. The real problem with PLA in Up printers is not the melt point for printing but the softening point. PLA softens as low as 40C, typically 50C with quality PLA making it to 60-65C before losing it's stiffness.

The problem there being that the extruder of Up printers often get to 50C if not more, softening the PLA on contact and causing it to misfeed.

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Fri May 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Okay thanks for straighten that out. I've had crossed T-glase off my list to try, but if it has a higher softening point than PLA I'll give it a go sometimes.
Up! Plus

roller

Post by roller » Fri May 09, 2014 4:28 pm

D3rax wrote:Okay thanks for straighten that out. I've had crossed T-glase off my list to try, but if it has a higher softening point than PLA I'll give it a go sometimes.
That I will have to test but I have some here so I'll try to give it a go over the weekend.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sun May 11, 2014 11:37 pm

The suggested temp for T-Glass is 212C, But I've always printed it at higher temps (230-245C).

Did you measure the diameter of your filament ? Is it 1.75 ? If it isn't then that will most likely be your problem.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au