Nothing seems to be working

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
kitutal

Nothing seems to be working

Post by kitutal » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Having recently had to wipe my computer off and start over, I come to reinstall my UP printer software and get it running again, only to find that I have rather foolishly lost the CD that came with it.
Not to be deterred, I searched on the site and downloaded some software that I thought was the same. However, now that it is all plugged in, it says it cannot find my printer, and to check that it is switched on properly. It is, I've checked a few times, it makes noise and everything.
So, I looked through the user manual, and it seems it's for a totally different printer, there's two extra wires I don't remember having before, and an odd looking detail around the top of the machine, do I need to redownload software for what I assume to be now an older, outdated model? And if so, how do I tell which is the right one?
Otherwise, is there anything I can do to make this connect properly?
Many thanks in advance,
~Oliver

ftdesigns

Re: Nothing seems to be working

Post by ftdesigns » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:36 pm

if you have an Up! Plus, download the latest software here: http://pp3dp.com/index.php?option=com_j ... d=1&cid=41

kitutal

Post by kitutal » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:06 pm

That's what I did, that same version of the software, but whenever I try to run it, it can't find the printer, and opens a window asking me to find a .INI file.

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:11 pm

Try the steps on page 47 of the up plus manual, maybe it helps for your problem to?
Up! Plus

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:29 am

can you please type what the error says verbatim? i had an issue like this when i used an old laptop with windows xp on it. i then typed the error into google and found the resolution... it involved opening the device manager and changing a driver location or something along those lines.

kitutal

Post by kitutal » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:45 pm

When I try to do anything it comes up with:
Connection error!
Please verify USB connection. Confirm printer is powered on.
Other than when I try to run Setup, when it opens an explorer window asking me to search for and open a .INI file, of which I don't have any.

D3rax wrote:Try the steps on page 47 of the up plus manual, maybe it helps for your problem to?
Page 47 says to take the plug out and put it back in, and to turn it off and back on, I've tried both, with no change.

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:54 pm

I meant page 47 of this manual: http://www.pp3dp.com/index.php?option=c ... 36&catid=3

It explains reinstalling the drivers.
Up! Plus

kitutal

Post by kitutal » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:33 pm

Ah, that's for a different error message than I've been getting, but I could give it a shot

Seems it hasn't bothered installing any drivers, possibly since it hasn't been able to find the printer at all since the first time I set it up. Any idea where to download some?

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:31 pm

okay. check out this recent thread: http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4619

if this sounds like what is happening, then it is your CPU, or the brain of the printer. the solution requires replacing the CPU chip which is located on the motherboard at the bottom of the printer.

first, try connecting the printer to another computer. if you get the MS Windows 'da dum' sound like you just plugged in a USB device, then your printer is fine. if you don't get that sound, then it is the CPU and it must be replaced. i have already dealt with this problem with my Affinia, they sent me a new chip in the mail and it worked immediately. And this problem was really random: I had been printing with the machine all day, then it just stopped connecting to my computer all of a sudden.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:53 pm

i am away from home at present,so cannot check. But, have you checked that you still have the correct DLL file that sets recogniton of the printer usb. this is NOT the general version v1.1x software, but a DLL needed for the usb comms to work. it has been mentioned in older threads on this forum, not sure where they are though and the present wifi i am on is sloooow so i cannot really search easily.

cheers

Perer

kitutal

Post by kitutal » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:43 pm

I think I've fixed it, turns out the driver wasn't installed at all, so no wonder I couldn't update it. The user manual was of little use, things weren't where it said they would be, but I managed to work around that and manually copy and paste and install some bits, and now it works.

Well, except now the plastic has stopped sticking properly, so it slips off the base part way through and just makes a mess. Strange, as I've never had this problem before, I wonder what's changed

kitutal

Post by kitutal » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Well, it prints at last, but two more problems:

1- the plastic doesn't stick to the board properly, meaning it comes loose part way through and slips around, messing everything up.
2- the nozzle height changes as it runs, meaning at the start it's a little too high and isn't printing right, and by the end it's too low and scraping against the previous layer

any ideas what to do now?

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:14 pm

It sounds to me like your bed is not level, maybe you should relevel it?
Up! Plus

LonV

Post by LonV » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:57 pm

I agree with D3rax. I've found the most important thing to print success is bed leveling. The newer bed calibration will help with it not being perfectly level, but I try to get as level as possible then calibrate.