Temperature mod gets funky under new software?

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
D3rax

Temperature mod gets funky under new software?

Post by D3rax » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:16 am

Hello,

It looks to me my temperature mod does not work correctly anymore under the latest software. I've got a 6 ohm resistor connected with a switch, when I activate the switch it should lower the temperature with about 16 degrees. This used to work a few months ago when i printed taulman nylon. Yesterday I wanted to print some nylon again, but the printed part had very bad lamination. I could tear it apart easily. It looked to me the temperature was way to low. When I check the temperature in the maintenance window when the nozzle is at room temperature and the resistor is activated the temperature is about 70 degrees with room temperature at about 20 degrees.

If I'm correct this should result in lowering of the temperature with about 50 degrees instead of 16 degrees. And this explains why the part has bad lamination. But I have no idea why my mod does not work correctly anymore, do any of you have a same experience?

I want to order the multi temperature switch form octave, but if this does not work correctly I doubt if I should order.
Up! Plus

roller

Re: Temperature mod gets funky under new software?

Post by roller » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:11 pm

There is no way for the mainboard or software to know the mod is in place because it just makes a tweak to the normal resistance output of the temp probe to give a falsely high reading. I think there is something a little freaked out in your system and possibly a bug in the new software. I have had misreads by the software since the last couple of versions of software even without the mod ... but of course this is the buggy/crappy Mac software I am referring to.

It may also be they intend the new software to work with a new version of firmware which is as yet unreleased and producing some weird behavior.

Anyway, try initialising a few times and see if you get a more expected reading at room temp (ie about 35C in a 20C room). Also check you don't have a problem with your wiring in the switch. It's rare to get an increase in resistance but perhaps your shorting to ground which is resulting in funny calculations - so mostly check your insulation.

Check you are not on the PLA setting - this should not produce the room temp results you are seeing but who knows what teaks (bugs) they put in the code sometimes ... and again this might be a bug of a new temp bias done poorly.

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks for your imput roller.

Im using the windows version, When I switch the resistor of the temperature drops to room temperature. But am I correct that when the 6 ohm resistor is activated the temperature shown shoukd be about 38 degrese?
Up! Plus

roller

Post by roller » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:09 am

6ohms should add very close to 16 degrees to the read temp.

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:13 am

I get correct temperature readings now, with and without the mod. I didn't change anything, so your right roller, it's probably misreads by the software.
Up! Plus

roller

Post by roller » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:17 am

I find all the new versions of software have episodes of schizoid behaviour with respect to temperature ... their occasional but very annoying.