"printer is disconnected" USB connection problem. Please hlp

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
ali sahaf

Re: "printer is disconnected" USB connection problem. Please

Post by ali sahaf » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:18 pm

I do not know too much from electronics but I had the same problem and this problem happened to me twice :oops:
I asked an electronic expert and he said that if someone know about the cpu inputs and outputs we can add an opto coupler isolator inorder to prevent this happen again!
Anyone have any comment or suggestion about this??
I think that this problem occurs due to static electricity but how can we prevent it???? the company asked me not to touch the machine during the print but I came across the problem again. I think they should really solve this problem and this is very sever!!!

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:34 am

Go into device manager, the up printer will have a question mark on it. Right click, update driver. Select find driver manually. Go to c:/Program Files86/up/ and let it install the drivers.

Rhenium

Post by Rhenium » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:13 am

I'm having the exact same issue (First generation Up! printer, Windows 7, 32-Bit). Half way through a print I touched the printer and it clunked out. Lots of static where I live, so likely I induced a circuit of some type.
I've since checked the drivers, they're all updated and I upgraded to Software V1.16.
I'm going to unplug everything and leave for the night to let it cool and will post an update in the morning. I hope I do not have to do a mother-board reboot.

Rhenium

Post by Rhenium » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:32 pm

wackojacko wrote:If it's not showing in device manager and you have tried a couple of PCs then the reset won't help
Does this mean you know what the problem is likely to be? :?:

mr1incubus

Post by mr1incubus » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:19 pm

I have the same issue have tried multiple computers and installs printer will initialize with switch on face but will not connect via usb. this seems to be a common problem with the old boards from what i have read. I hope this problem is recognized and resolved soon.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:12 am

If you still can't see it in device manager and have tried a couple of PCs, then it is likely that the CPU is fried.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

mr1incubus

Post by mr1incubus » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:08 am

It is confirmed as a dead cpu I wonder if afinia will send me another one that I can install at an ESD station or if I have to ship it back. If they make me ship it back I will just return it to the vendor and buy another. They need to improve upon this design as this is a weak part of the machine.

Rhenium

Post by Rhenium » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:28 pm

mr1incubus wrote:It is confirmed as a dead cpu...
How were you able to confirm the dead CPU?

mr1incubus

Post by mr1incubus » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:05 am

I have a friend who has multiple machines

dhgrimes

Post by dhgrimes » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:22 pm

This is a repost from "General Discussion"
I will follow this with an update.
Re: UP Plus 2, platform levelling
Postby dhgrimes » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:00 pm

A note to all UP Plus 2 owners!
I have had two of two printers lose communication with the computer. The computer does not see that a printer is connected and powered up. They are school printers in different locations and with different computers and each had less than 20 hour of printing. The failure has persisted when the printers were connected to different computers.

The distributor, who supplied the printers, relayed that the manufacturer indicated that ESD (static) probably damaged the CPU's of the printers. In one location the students remembering being "shocked" by static the same day the printer stopped communicating.

Has any one else experienced lose of communication with the printer? UP Plus 2? UP Plus?

Precautions:
1. Disconnect the "Calibration Cable" from the printer when calibration is complete.
2. Do not touch the "plug" portion of the cable connector when inserting or removing them from the printer or the sensors.
3. Do not touch the metal portions of the sensors when the cable is connected to the printer.
4. If you suspect "static" in the environment of the printer, then it may be necessary to employ the same Work Place ESD Controls that are common in the electronics industry.
5. Request recommendations from UP!

dhgrimes

Post by dhgrimes » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:26 pm

This is a repost of a "General Discussion" item.
I will follow it an update.

Re: UP Plus 2, platform levelling
Postby dhgrimes » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:00 pm

A note to all UP Plus 2 owners!
I have had two of two printers lose communication with the computer. The computer does not see that a printer is connected and powered up. They are school printers in different locations and with different computers and each had less than 20 hour of printing. The failure has persisted when the printers were connected to different computers.

The distributor, who supplied the printers, relayed that the manufacturer indicated that ESD (static) probably damaged the CPU's of the printers. In one location the students remembering being "shocked" by static the same day the printer stopped communicating.

Has any one else experienced lose of communication with the printer? UP Plus 2? UP Plus?

Precautions:
1. Disconnect the "Calibration Cable" from the printer when calibration is complete.
2. Do not touch the "plug" portion of the cable connector when inserting or removing them from the printer or the sensors.
3. Do not touch the metal portions of the sensors when the cable is connected to the printer.
4. If you suspect "static" in the environment of the printer, then it may be necessary to employ the same Work Place ESD Controls that are common in the electronics industry.
5. Request recommendations from UP!

dhgrimes

Post by dhgrimes » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:28 pm

This is a follow up to my repost. UP printers, particularly UP Plus 2’s, appear to have a significant manufacture and/or design defect that is the cause of some of the “Printer Disconnected” error messages. The issue is static shock (ESD discharge) from human to the printer that kills the microprocessor (CPU).

My issue has existed since mid-November with no response from UP! on how to prevent this failure from re-occurring in the future. This could take the form of their sharing what changes they have make during assembly of new printers or authorizing owner modification of printers still under warranty.

Below are questions I submitted to UP! via the distributor in early December with the answers received from UP!.

1. Have they had ESD issues with previous models of UP printers?
Yes we have ESD issues with previous models of UP Plus printers.
2. Are there other instances of ESD failures with the UP Plus 2?
Yes some distributors reported to us. When user touched platform or the X axis, ESD failure may occur on UP Plus 2.
3. Are the equipment ground (chassis) and circuit ground common?
The UP Plus 2 was chassis grounded and circuit grounded, in our test the system passed high ESD hit. After some recent ESD failure reports, our engineer checked the system, they think the X axis may not be grounded well.
4. If this is a new issue on the UP Plus 2, is it caused by the exposed active circuit element of the nozzle height sensor, the exposed metal of the double pin terminated sensor cable, or the faster microprocessor?
This issue may due to paint on the metal sheet of X axis (the U shape metal sheet that holds the heating bed), which insulates the ground. Our engineer will do more test with the system and try to get X axis well ground.

And two questions not associated with ESD.
5. Do you know what is the function of the push button switch on the CPU board?
It is for our engineer’s testing during manufacturing, and has no function for the end user.
6. What is the maximum amount of out-of-level that the software can compensate for in the three layers of raft? i.e. how level or warp free does the platform need to be to make full area prints.
When making full area prints, the amount of out-of-level software can compensate for in the 3 layers of raft is very small.
Printing raft is one of the way to reduce the print warps, with the raft being printed, it will stick to the platform much better.
To ensure maximum amount of level or warp free, there are some other factors, like physically level platform, preheating platform longer until platform is fully heated, calibrate the nozzle height to make sure the raft sticks well into perfboard, printing in a warm room temperature, close the wind baffle on the extruder during printing of the model, etc.

I have shared this information with the hope that others may avoid the problem and that additional concern by the user community may generate an open response from UP!. Failure to address this issue before it happens can result in the need to purchase a $1100 replacement part and a wait of up to 6 week for delivery.

Helicopter

Post by Helicopter » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks for sharing this!!

With my new 2nd printer (and #1 when it comes back from repair), I take the following precautions:

First and most importantly, I only ever touch the printer when properly grounded using an ESD wristband grounded to a properly grounded metal body or the grounding pin of a power outlet (not available in all countries, dont go plug to a power outlet if you don't know what you're doing!). Sine I do this everytime when touching the printer, even when just handling the perfboard or loading filament, I never felt any discharge between me and the printer again like I did often before.
That is probably the one thing I can recommend to save your printer (especially when out of warranty!).

Since actually I too suspect it may have something to do with the Nozzle Height Sensor, given my #1 UP failed during plugging and unplugging after a failed height recognition and I always felt discharge when handling that cable, regardless of their answer of it being a part in the x-axis, I decided to no longer use both sensors. Nozzle Height was totally inaccurate anyway, and for auto-level I've designed and printed a part that holds a dial gage that, using the original magnet, snaps right into the spot of the auto level sensor. That not only helps incredibly with physical platform levelling, it takes just 2 minutes to read all the spots and manually enter the values into platform calibration after that. I've checked it against the sensor once, the resulting values are the same. It may not be necessary to completely stop using the sensors when you are properly grounded, but I figured this way I don't need them so just being extra careful. Waiting 4 weeks for a repair does suck you know...

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:46 am

While I have an earlish up plus, purchased 2nd hand (2 weeks old) in the uk are couple of years ago, I have not seen CE (conformity European) label on it. ALL items sold in Europe are required by law to be CE compliant.! For electronic equipment this includes stringent ESD protection. I used to work for a electronics equipment manufacturer and seem to remember that one test was something like a 5Kv disharge to any part of the equipment, sustained for 5 seconds shall not cause any failure of the electronics. Any Uker out there got a recent printer, if so is it CE marked. If it is and it fails on ESD I guess it should be replaced by the retailer FOC. Even if not CE marked The retailer should be responsible, for selling non CE compliant equipment in Europe. Of course if you purchase direct through a non Europian country I guess you are on your own.

BTW just got around to repairing platform heater cable (the usual, cable sheared due to movement stress). So I rerouted a better chunkier flexible cable from the socket by the vertical pillar, out the back of the X axis arm around the outside to the platform heater then tucked through the platform mount to the original wires close to the heater. Works fine.

cheers

Peter

Helicopter

Post by Helicopter » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:51 pm

Hi Peter,

CE conformity was one of the first things that came to my mind as well, when I heard PP3DP's answer about known recent ESD issues. It's rather interesting in that respect that your UP does not bear a CE-Label. The UP Plus 2, at least the ones delivered to me from the German retailer do bear a CE label. It's located on the type and serial number placard on the rear. Within the CE low voltage devices clause, any UP sold in the EU certainly requires CE compliance and marking. The responsibility for proper CE marking and compliance lies with the importer. ESD immunity is part of the CE standards and with our experiences, reinforced by the statement of PP3DP posted by dhgrimes, the UP seems to be not anywhere near compliant (which worries me, as selling non-CE marked goods that need marking, or CE-marked goods that can be proven to be incompliant, can lead to quite sensitive penalties against the importer).

Legal issues aside, actually now that I think of it, if a part on the x-axis is not properly grounded, it kind of makes sense that connecting the nozzle-height sensor would cause issues, as you then possibly connect the x-axis to the CPU in a more direct way, causing a possible discharge.

dholverson

Post by dholverson » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:11 pm

I have this problem big time. I bought an Plus 2 off eBay. No combination of computers and USB cables with connect. The reset button didn't help either. What do I do now stuck here in Omaha, NE?

Helicopter

Post by Helicopter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:51 am

Hi,

having seen your other thread, it does sound a lot like a dead CPU.
Probably best to contact your local retailer or pp3dp if it's still under warranty.

If not, I guess you could try to return it to the seller, since it's clearly defective,
and if the description didn't mention that it's a fraud and you can report the seller
to eBay and maybe even use buyers protection (if you paid via paypal) if he doesn't
agree to take responsibility.

Good Luc getting your UP up ad running ;)

optiondev

Post by optiondev » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:01 pm

Have had my up for 3-4 weeks now, and if we ignore the standard problems (unable to adjust temperature, to cold bed etc) it has been working just fine.

When I tried to start a job this morning my computer did not find the printer at all (Win 8.1 machine). Tried it on my macbook air as well, same result.
The printer initialize itself just fine when turning it on with the front button.

So another case of dead cpu I guess?

85miles

Post by 85miles » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:41 am

Same with my printer, 3 weeks old UP! Mini. (purchased on ebay as used machine but came perfect and unused) 3 weeks printing now the USB is not recognized, I have another UP! Mini which been working fine and its 1.5 years old over 2000 Hours on it!! this one has less than 200 hours... Im very disappointed. And for PP3DP to charge 1100 for a new board that's crazy ridiculous .

steadicam

Post by steadicam » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:01 pm

Hello All!!!

Hey really great info on the boards here cant get enough of it really great!! OK I have been reading this post and I have an early UP! printing that is behaving like this all of a sudden...I am running windows 8 and I have spoken to OCTAVE tech support...they suggested I post a question here...so is there anyone that has dealt with this recently and how have they done so and who have they contacted?? Links and or email or phone numbers would be good...I believe the mother board or the CPU is DOA...also was there a cost??? all responses are appreciated!!