problems with printing PLA

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
amarler

problems with printing PLA

Post by amarler » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:26 am

Hi

I am using an UP! Plus (original), trying to move to PLA as I'm tired of the ABS smell. I have tried 2 different reels of PLA both give the same problem, intermittent extruding. When it fails to extrude any material there is a distinctive knocking noise coming from the extruder motor area, and when touching the filament it feels like it is failing to grip the PLA. At first I thought it was because the reel I was using was fairly cheap/not very high quality and had a shiny surface. However I have tried a FormFutura reel and experienced the same problem.

I have tried printing on normal and fine settings but no joy, the printer will happily extrude PLA on command from the maintenance box. I have no trouble in printing with ABS.

I find this a strange problem as I have printed with PLA successfully before (different reel again).

Anybody able to shed light on this issue?

Thanks

Alex

DrewPetitclerc

Re: problems with printing PLA

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:24 pm

amarler wrote:Anybody able to shed light on this issue?
These should make it clear what the problem is.
http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... c8d5#p5473
http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... c8d5#p5474
http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... c8d5#p5475
Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

vindicarblack

Post by vindicarblack » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:12 am

I got an octave multi temperature switch - with the spool set to ABS in Maintenance and the Number four dipswitch set to on (203.5 temp) it is finally feeding and printing PLA with jamming (I say that now as I am halfway through my model so I might have brought down Karmic retribution. (it has gone further than ever before)

Even a mechanically handicapped person such as myself found it easy to install (5 Minutes)

http://www.octave.com/p1173433212/Extru ... _info.html

on a separate note - UP! should really include a fine temperature control in their software so this is not necessary

vindicarblack

Post by vindicarblack » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:53 am

is there a brand of pla that seems to work better in the UP! plus?

roller

Post by roller » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:34 pm

The premium PLAs which have a higher softening temp are the easiest to use with the Up. Many PLAs get soft well below 50C and these tend to wrap around the extruder once it's warm and jam.

I've started using the Softfabb PLA exclusively with my Up and have yet to have a jam with it. That said the default PLA settings in the latest (after 1.15) versions of software is rubbish and tends to produce stringing with the Softfabb so I use it on the ABS setting with a temp mod that takes off 40-50C (14.8-18.5 Ohms) and this works brilliantly. Clean prints and removable support :)

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:23 pm

roller wrote:The premium PLAs which have a higher softening temp are the easiest to use with the Up. Many PLAs get soft well below 50C and these tend to wrap around the extruder once it's warm and jam.

I've started using the Softfabb PLA exclusively with my Up and have yet to have a jam with it. That said the default PLA settings in the latest (after 1.15) versions of software is rubbish and tends to produce stringing with the Softfabb so I use it on the ABS setting with a temp mod that takes off 40-50C (14.8-18.5 Ohms) and this works brilliantly. Clean prints and removable support :)
Roller, do you mean ColorFabb ? Just trying to avoid any confusion... :D
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller

Post by roller » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:10 am

Grrr ... yes I mean Colorfabb... I hate that name. I always get it wrong.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:16 am

roller wrote:Grrr ... yes I mean Colorfabb... I hate that name. I always get it wrong.
:D :D
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

amarler

Post by amarler » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:53 am

Ok Thanks for the help guys

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Has anybody ever tried cutting a hole in that nylon piece that houses the extruder gear? Perhaps exposing the gear to the stock fan would help dissipate the heat and let PLA print better?

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:27 pm

ftdesigns wrote:Has anybody ever tried cutting a hole in that nylon piece that houses the extruder gear? Perhaps exposing the gear to the stock fan would help dissipate the heat and let PLA print better?
Yes, but it doesn't offer a significant improvement from my experience.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller

Post by roller » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:21 am

wilsonj wrote:
ftdesigns wrote:Has anybody ever tried cutting a hole in that nylon piece that houses the extruder gear? Perhaps exposing the gear to the stock fan would help dissipate the heat and let PLA print better?
Yes, but it doesn't offer a significant improvement from my experience.
I agree. I think that's because there is not enough ports for the air to flow through so very little does. That's why Drew's air system works - because he force injects air in with a pump he gets a good cooling airflow. I have tried heatsinking the stepper motor but it's not sufficient. I have kept it cool with a Peltier and heatsink but this is a lot of extra hassle and electronics (to cycle the Peltier) so it seems less elegant than the air pump.