Misaligned print layers

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Helicopter

Re: Misaligned print layers

Post by Helicopter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:44 am

Thanks for these great suggestions Drew and wackojacko!

I'll do both and report the findings. That is, once I get my self-destroyed printer back :( .
In the meantime, because I was told my UP would he gone for 2-4 weeks, I was forced to buy a second UP 2 Plus, which just arrived and I'll check it for these symptoms first thing tomorrow.

Helicopter

Post by Helicopter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Right now I can only speak for the second UP, but that one does not suffer from this exact problem.
It did however display nasty, big skips on all axes during the first test print. I checked for interfering screws,
none. BUT: I suspected the perfboard slipping (which was more loose on this one than on #1). I removed
the 3 front springs which are a pain to undo and redo everytime anyway and now just use 2 bull clips there.
No more misalignments so far! The other springs now serve as guidance, I can just slip the perfboard in
and fix it with the clips. Puts much less forces on the platform than flipping those springs all the time as well.

So the first hint of all in this thread cured the problem on this one, now I'm very curious if it will resolve
the issue on UP #1 as well. Big thanks and will keep you posted.

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:42 am

I finally solved the problem on my printer. At the suggestion of x-object, I removed the front cover and observed the printer as it was printing a model.

What I found is that the plastic doohicky on the right hand side of the z-axis carriage (the "Z Fixer") was rubbing against the flange on the right hand pillar when the z axis was near the top of its travel. There was apparently not quite enough clearance between the flange and the Z Fixer.

The solution was simple, if inelegant. I took a vice-grip and bent the flange outward by 1-2 mm where it was rubbing. No more rubbing, and I've printed four models so far with no evidence of the print quality problems I had been having.

I realize my description isn't the clearest. I'll post pictures when I have a chance.
Last edited by pleppik on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helicopter

Post by Helicopter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:54 pm

That sounds logical, as it fits the mentioned suggestion that in the z-axis something is rubbing against a screw, only that it's not a screw but the flange.

I'll check my #1 UP when it gets back, and will report.

Thanks!

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:12 am

Here are photos of the problem area and the solution on my printer. I hope this is clearer than my earlier description--maybe this will help someone else in the future.
Problem-Area.jpg
Problem-Area.jpg (48.15 KiB) Viewed 4760 times
Problem-Fix.jpg
Problem-Fix.jpg (35.52 KiB) Viewed 4760 times