Filament not sticking to platform

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
ModelDog99

Filament not sticking to platform

Post by ModelDog99 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:42 pm

After having to successful prints today the 3rd makes me want to scream!
The filament doesn't want to stick to the platform. It keeps dragging itself around the
platform and wadding up around the extruder nozzle.
Is the printer nozzle too close or to far away from the platform or is it something
more interesting than that?

Any advice?

wackojacko

Re: Filament not sticking to platform

Post by wackojacko » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:57 pm

Check the platform is getting to temp
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Sounds like the nozzle is too far from the perfboard, did you use the two sheets of paper thickness as a guide?

roller

Post by roller » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:49 pm

mb20music wrote:Sounds like the nozzle is too far from the perfboard, did you use the two sheets of paper thickness as a guide?
Specifically two sheets of typical 90gsm copy paper.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:35 pm

roller wrote:
mb20music wrote:Sounds like the nozzle is too far from the perfboard, did you use the two sheets of paper thickness as a guide?
Specifically two sheets of typical 90gsm copy paper.
LOL whatever

roller

Post by roller » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:57 am

Excuse me for clarifying. I have been dragged across town twice in the last month by people with crazy ideas for what it normal paper... seems to be a new trend to use non standard copy paper.

ModelDog99

Post by ModelDog99 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'll double check my distance and let you know.

ModelDog99

Post by ModelDog99 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:07 pm

OK. Happy now. I needed to re-level the platform as well as double check my distance.
I'm think I'm going to get a piece of metal that's .010 thick to use as a gauge. That's equivalent
to 2 pieces of paper and a lot more consistent and easier to see.

Thanks.

roller

Post by roller » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:01 pm

I don't "see" the distance but slide the paper under and gradually lower the head until it "grabs" so I can "feel" the distance. I originally used feeler guages when I started out building printers but the paper method is actually quicker and more convenient once you get used to it.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:43 pm

I use a note card ( kinda just got lucky on the thickness, I couldn't tell you how thick it actually is) I much prefer it over using 2 pieces of paper. After I level the bed, which you don't have to do very often, I just slide the card underneath the printer for storage, so its easyto find again

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:40 pm

roller wrote:I don't "see" the distance but slide the paper under and gradually lower the head until it "grabs" so I can "feel" the distance. I originally used feeler guages when I started out building printers but the paper method is actually quicker and more convenient once you get used to it.
Forget the paper ;), could be very different thickness in papers.
Use the feeler gauge, it doesn`t compress.
Feeler gauge-2.png
Feeler gauge
Feeler gauge-2.png (202.03 KiB) Viewed 14544 times
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

Robin

Post by Robin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:43 pm

I have my own way but that might simply be because I am getting cantankerous in my old age.

First I remove everything from the aluminium bed because clips and stuff just get in the way.

Next I square the bed using a coin, it must only just go under the nozzle, barely touch.

Then I replace the perf board and set the nozzle height in the middle.

Then I print something from scratch. I do not repeat the last print because it contains the old nozzle height adjustment. Oh boy I had fun discovering that :mrgreen:

roller

Post by roller » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:54 pm

amd-tec wrote:
roller wrote:I don't "see" the distance but slide the paper under and gradually lower the head until it "grabs" so I can "feel" the distance. I originally used feeler guages when I started out building printers but the paper method is actually quicker and more convenient once you get used to it.
That's why I specified 90gsm. I find the paper grab feel superior to a feeler gauge and the variation in that paper type is not that great. The reality is ... you do not need it to be accurate, you need it to be consistent for you and your setup process. Paper allows me to accurately ascertain a distance with greater speed and repeatability. Feeler gauges are too slippy on the perfboard and glass. With so many printers to tune and build I needed a faster, more nuanced system ... and the feeler gauges get to go back in the motorbike toolbox where they're most needed :)

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:24 pm

Plus with 2 sheets of 90gem paper A4 or A5 you can move the extruder from centre to each edge and instantly "feel" if the grab is similar. As the paper will cover the entire platform.

cheers

Peter

DickL

Post by DickL » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi
I just developed a similar problem. Yesterday, I did not have a problem printing. Today, I cannot get the raft to stick to the perf board. The difference is that the wx has turned colder and the workshop cooled off to about 65 F. I live in Virginia and were are getting a nice noreaster. I guess I will need some heat in the workshop.

DickL

roller

Post by roller » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:38 pm

DickL wrote:Hi
I just developed a similar problem. Yesterday, I did not have a problem printing. Today, I cannot get the raft to stick to the perf board. The difference is that the wx has turned colder and the workshop cooled off to about 65 F. I live in Virginia and were are getting a nice noreaster. I guess I will need some heat in the workshop.

DickL
I print fine at that temp and also get my best PLA results :)

Just give the bed plenty of time to heat - let it sit over 100C (212F) for at least 10 mins before you start and maybe make your nozzle start a little closer to the bed. But just try letting it sit hot for a while first - the extra heating time will actually decrease the nozzle height fractionally due to expansion. I also pre-extrude before printing again to warm up and expand the extruder.

DickL

Post by DickL » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi
Ynx for the reply. I gave it a 1 hr preheat without luck. I also noticed that the perf board seems to be warped more than it has been. The nozzle was clicking just about all over the print area. I think room heat is the answer for both the printer and me. 65 F is a bit chilly.

I was thinking of trying elmers glue on glass to see if it would help.

DickL

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:52 pm

roller wrote:
amd-tec wrote:
That's why I specified 90gsm. I find the paper grab feel superior to a feeler gauge and the variation in that paper type is not that great. The reality is ... you do not need it to be accurate, you need it to be consistent for you and your setup process. Paper allows me to accurately ascertain a distance with greater speed and repeatability. Feeler gauges are too slippy on the perfboard and glass. With so many printers to tune and build I needed a faster, more nuanced system ... and the feeler gauges get to go back in the motorbike toolbox where they're most needed :)

I do both leveling and nozzle height setting with feeler gauge, happy with results ;).

roller

Post by roller » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:33 pm

One of my favourite Up features is that I have only levelled once every six months... and both times I probably didn't need to.

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:35 am

roller wrote:One of my favourite Up features is that I have only levelled once every six months... and both times I probably didn't need to.
So you have done it at least once.
I have done it several times, perhaps time to add rubbers, those what Drew have suggested.