I need help with the Taulman 618 on UP

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Marbla

I need help with the Taulman 618 on UP

Post by Marbla » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:07 am

Hi!

So i've had the taulman 618 spool for about four months and haven't used it yet. The problem is that the material won't stick to my perfboard. I've tried using wood but because I'm extruding the Taulman on ABS settings the plattform heats up and everything just fails when the wood gets hot.

How do you guys do it?

mb20music

Re: I need help with the Taulman 618 on UP

Post by mb20music » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:45 pm

You need to use this instead of the perfboard.

http://www.octave.com/p1173433175/Garol ... _info.html

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi Marbia,

Try moving the nozzle closer to the perfboard than you would for printing ABS. I find I need to really push it into the holes to get the raft to stick.

You don't mention what sort of wood you are using ? As suggested by mb20music, you might be better off trying phenolic sheet. Although it doesn't always stick perfectly, the more you use it the better it seems to work.

Somewhat unrelated, but are you using a temperature reducing patch when printing with nylon ? It will print fine at 270C but becomes very sensitive to any moisture. Best temp to print at is about 250C.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and keep you nylon sealed in a bag with desiccant when not being used. It absorbs moisture very quickly.

Cheers
Jamie
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller

Post by roller » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:16 am

Somewhat unrelated, but are you using a temperature reducing patch when printing with nylon ? It will print fine at 270C but becomes very sensitive to any moisture. Best temp to print at is about 250C.
Actually, it could be related because if you do have a temp switch you can print the first few layers at full temp which will also help adhesion before switching to the lower printing temp. Those with switches like Octaves which temporarily go open when you switch probably want to pause the print first to flick the switch.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:58 pm

I have been printing the Taulman Nylon flat with no lift or curl on glass with a light coating of "Elmer's" washable school glue stick, non-toxic, cheap and safe, I've printed parts that cover the entire build plate with no issues.
you should try it.

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

Bindw

Post by Bindw » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:13 am

Like Jamie, I have had a high success rate with perf board and the nozzle set very close to the to the surface (one sheet of paper rather than the recommended 2).The other MUST is that the print bed is fully heated 100% before you start and no breezes or drafts. Taulman 618 is a sensitive soul and needs careful love and attention! The effort is worth it though, the prints are really strong and colour beautifully.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:40 am

roller wrote:Those with switches like Octaves which temporarily go open when you switch probably want to pause the print first to flick the switch.
Slightly off-topic: I'm not completely sure that temp errors when changing temp on the fly are always due to the switch going open momentarily. I think that sometimes even with a perfect, continuous (but instantaneous) resistance change, the software can become alarmed at the nozzle temp suddenly seeming to be too high or too low. But yes, doing temp changes after hitting "Pause Print" seems to be safe.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:46 am

Slightly off-topic: I'm not completely sure that temp errors when changing temp on the fly are always due to the switch going open momentarily. I think that sometimes even with a perfect, continuous (but instantaneous) resistance change, the software can become alarmed at the nozzle temp suddenly seeming to be too high or too low. But yes, doing temp changes after hitting "Pause Print" seems to be safe.
You are totally correct. I was saying that a few months ago but I don't think I expressed it well. An open circuit when it does a poll of the temp produces an immediate error and the print fails. I have yet to have this instantaneous failure if the circuit does go open at any point but I think that if the temp has jumped significantly of successive polls of the temp then the printer fails the print with an over/under temp alert. I am not sure if it is equally sensitive in over and under temps but dropping more than 20C without giving the extruder a chance to cool seems to upset the printer. I have verified these conclusions comparing my dip switch to my thumbwheel switch as neither goes open but one chenges resistance significantly when selecting while the other does not but behavior seems to be the same for both... i.e. jump too many steps and the print fails.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:48 am

Back to original topic ... nylon is a moisture magnet and "saturated" filaments sometimes have big issues adhering. Maybe it needs a little drying.

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Wed May 07, 2014 12:35 pm

roller wrote:Back to original topic ... nylon is a moisture magnet and "saturated" filaments sometimes have big issues adhering. Maybe it needs a little drying.
Any good tips on drying Nylon and on how to keep it dry?
Up! Plus

ming

Post by ming » Thu May 08, 2014 3:05 am

D3rax wrote:
roller wrote:Back to original topic ... nylon is a moisture magnet and "saturated" filaments sometimes have big issues adhering. Maybe it needs a little drying.
desicant packs in a vacuum pack (you can use vacuum luggage bags) with a few packs of dessicants. I have a sealed container that i added a couple of bulkhead fittings to pull vacuum.
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Thu May 08, 2014 12:55 pm

ming wrote:
D3rax wrote:
desicant packs in a vacuum pack (you can use vacuum luggage bags) with a few packs of dessicants. I have a sealed container that i added a couple of bulkhead fittings to pull vacuum.
Yes I'll try this. Don't think drying plastic in a kitchen oven used for preparing food is a wise thing to do. Going to put my nylon in a vacuumbag with dessicants. As it's becoming summer soon I'll also put the vacuumbags in a plastic container and set it in the sun as much as possible to heat it up. I read on a forum that somebody saves his spools in the car on sunny days, which worked pretty well :D
Up! Plus

ming

Post by ming » Thu May 08, 2014 2:43 pm

I have not had to test my plan. Because it's not humid here yet.
I replaced my filament guide tube with a mesh tube and from the spoolend I have a small container tht houses a Sponge to clean the filament before entering the mesh guide tube.

I can test my theory to wipe the filament with high purity alcohol (by soaking the sponge with alcohol). I know I can dry out wet cloth with soaking it with alcohol and wringing it out and then let it air dry a lot faster than wet towel.alone.
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Mon May 12, 2014 1:01 am

D3rax wrote:
I stuck a roll of 618 in the oven at 60C for 2 hours and it did wonders for the print quality.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller

Post by roller » Mon May 12, 2014 7:00 am

wilsonj wrote:
D3rax wrote:
I stuck a roll of 618 in the oven at 60C for 2 hours and it did wonders for the print quality.
Yeah but how did it work out with your muffins ;)

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Tue May 13, 2014 2:03 am

I stuck a roll of 618 in the oven at 60C for 2 hours and it did wonders for the print quality.[/quote]

Yeah but how did it work out with your muffins ;)[/quote]

Unfortunately they came out all stringy!
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au